View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2017, 7:41 am   #80
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Why did folk always unplug the telly at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Every power tool I have has a switch which is spring loaded to the OFF position. It's true that some can be locked in the ON position, but is it likely that someone would leave the lock ON and then switch off the tool by unplugging it or switching OFF at the mains socket?

If someone doesn't check that a power tool isn't switched OFF before plugging it in are they likely to check the switch on the socket?

Not forgetting of course that when the mains socket is switched ON the power tool will start in any case.

Fixed power tools like bandsaws generally have a no volt release starter to avoid them restarting after a power cut..
Two of the most dangerous power tools I have, have simple on/off switches which stay on if you left them so. A 900W 1/4 inch router and a beast of a 2100W 1/2 inch one. The big one is often used in a trend router table, with its switch relatively inaccessible and left on. The table has a pushbutton no-volt starter switch powering a socket for the machine.

It's terribly easy to forget when removing the router from the table that the switch is 'on', and also to leave whatever bit is fitted extended. Plugging it in hor some hand-held work can yield a bit of a surprise. Fortunately both have soft start speed controllers and the revs come up gently, rather than making a spinning power tool leap all over the place.

Using a switched socket simply delays the surprise a little.

Several circular saws by the same manufacturer all have automatic guards over their blades and you have to unlock their triggers by operating a sprung safety latch before you can run them up. But the routers are not so protected. You need your hands to hold them and move them. Operating interlocks and sprung switches seems to be too much.

My washing machine instructions say to leave power on it with the door shut because it is designed to run the pump if it senses water in the drum due to a leaking control valve. It also has a hose-withn-a hose feed hose with a shut off valve, so if the inner hose bursts, a valve at the feed tap end shuts off the water. AEG were obviously more concerned about floods rather than fires.

David