View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 7:11 pm   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: The lightbulb conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
A few months later came and asked us to supply lamps by Crompton, I think that was the brand, he found on average he got the 1000 hours out of those, the other makes lasted considerably less in his installation.
Absolutely! I stocked just about every make of quality lamps available. My shop was noted for it.

I used to stock Crompton [Parkinson?] /Hawker lamps insisted by some of my customers. They definitely were a high Quality lamp well respected in the trade, supplied to schools, local authorities and industry.

I think they sold their lamp business to Philips, another high quality lamp manufacturer.

Lamps were the bargain purchase of the 20th Century. A standard quality lamp retailed for around 1/8d in 1964, about 8P today.

Speaking of good quality lamps we must not forget our old friend F. W. Woolworth and Co. They marketed VESTA and SUNSHINE lamps, all single coil and they had an excellent reputation, sold from their fascinating electrical counters with it's chrome fittings, yards of Ever Ready and Vidor batteries, torches, and a million types of plugs and lamp adapters. Heaven to a 7 year old that would keep me quiet until Mum finished her shopping. [Woolworth's Wimbledon store] Regards, John.