View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2017, 8:08 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Swaps not allowed, why?

Hi All,
I hope I can get some answers please.
I did a short search but could not find an answer using my search text.
"Swaps are not allowed" which is well known and applies to sale and wanted threads, as stated clearly.
I have often wondered why this is and now feel brave enough to ask just why this is?
I appreciate that a swapping scenario could then defeat the "exact price required" rule when offered. Is this the actual reason?
However, here is MY scenario.
I am looking for a certain Pye WW2 radio for my shack.
I have a wonderful spectrum analyser that is now redundant.
I think these are comparable value and would love to swap this item so as to save any financial involvement either way and also reach a mutual satisfaction with another member.
So as not to break the rule, do I offer my analyser at a high start price and then gradually reduce in increments until sold so as to achieve the best price?
Then, IF it is sold, I then post a wanted for the WS item and HOPE I find it?
OR, post a wanted and if replied to, decide whether it can be funded by my future analyser sale?
Really a chicken and egg situation I think.
OR the third option may be to just offer my item on usual auction site and look for my wanted at the same site in the future?
I think this latter would just inflate the sale and wanted prices with no benefit at all to forum members. Besides, we would both also lose out on the actual commission paid!
Any reasons why it is strictly forbidden to swap or ideas for me to get the best outcome please?
Thanks, Rob