View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 10:54 pm   #134
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 382U Firefly not playing ball

hmmm......well whilst what they say has an essence of truth I've never found it necessary to ever change anything....as for the 'better quality transmitters' apparently used by the BBC, I don't think that is quite true. I know very little about broadcasting techniques other than the fact local stations tend to use more compression than national stations. However although these stations tend to sound louder than the nationals (with the possible exception of Classic FM) I've not noticed distortion. My main receiver is a Leak Troughline tuner from the mid-sixties and that receives all available stations in excellent quality. I have several early FM sets and in the past have also had a Ferguson 383A which is basically the same as the 382U. I don't remember having a problem with distortion on the locals.

What is more likely to be the problem is the fact that older receivers need a good FM aerial (by 'good' read 'outdoors'). Most are far less tolerant of poor signals.