View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 3:03 pm   #18
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Painted Bakelite and paint stripper...

It's most likely dichloromethane based, which - within the EU - can only lawfully be used by professionals who have been trained and who use it in controlled conditions - not in a domestic setting, and that's been the case for some 20 years now. (I think since 1997, but stand to be corrected).

For those who are so minded, DCM based strippers such as Langlow's 'Stripaway Pro' and similar brands of DCM strippers can readily be bought on line if you know where to look. EG, a 5L can of 'Stripaway Pro' can be bought from a supplier in Belfast for £49.95 including carriage to UK mainland addresses, but for obvious reasons, I'm not going to post the link.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think that this is 'health and safety gone mad' because once supplied to the general public, the conditions of use can't be controlled and hence, not just the possibility, but the probability, exists of dangerous misuse - for example, stripping varnish off a bedroom floor with no personal protective equipment being used. Or come to that, a piece of furniture or radio cabinet in a garden shed.

It's rather a shame that though there is a plethora of strippers on the market which make what seem to be exaggerated claims of effectiveness, nothing seems to work quite as well as DCM based strippers, which seem to strips anything and everything in their path. We've been here before in lengthy, but inconclusive threads.