View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2017, 6:23 pm   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Advance E2 Signal Generator repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejazzageuk View Post
Thanks all- great information and advice.

I have now connected a scope to the Full RF socket- and ..success, I get a sine wave that agrees with the frequency on the generator.

Doing the same test with the 'ATTEN RF' just gives noise. I don't have a plug for the RF, so am just inserting the scope plug directly into the socket- can anyone advise what type it is?

Will try to resolve the ATTEN RF then perhaps replace the caps recommended by David G4EBT?
Remember that the attenuated output ranges from just 1,000th of a Volt, to 0.1Volt so your scope input settings need to be adjusted to take account of that. The attenuator circuitry is only a network of resistors and a wire-wound pot. If - when you've checked your scope settings - you don't have a sine wave just like that from the 'Full' output but of much smaller amplitude, you can use your scope probe to follow through the attenuator circuitry to discover what's happening to the signal, starting at the slider of the wire-wound pot, R24.

As to replacing the caps, whether or not they're causing any deterioration of the generator's performance, given its age, it would be wise to replace them. Probably cost well under a tenner for the bits, and an hour to do. As has been said, the output sockets are like car radio aerial input sockets, and given that most test gear for some years - scope probe leads, frequency counters etc, have used BNC plugs and sockets, for the little expense and effort involved, it would be well worth upgrading the sockets to BNC.

As I said earlier, these generators were made for professional use in busy workshops and are robustly built to that standard - not for light 'hobbyist' purposes such as the Heathkit RF1U or Tech TE20D, so it's well worth spending a little time and expense on it. The only things against the E2 is its size, weight and often rather tatty external appearance.

Have you looked at the modulated RF output or the 400Hz AF output yet? (very handy for signal injecting when fault finding, along with a signal tracer).

Hope that helps a bit.