View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2015, 7:50 pm   #19
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconiphone VRC74DA

I finally got round to removing the radio chassis today, a really fun job
It was held in with four long bolts from underneath, a job made easier with a socket on a ratchet drive, as access is a bit awkward.
The whole operation was carried out very carefully, as the CRT is still in situ.

The chassis then refused to come out until I noticed the tone control pot extension shaft needed removing first!
It was then possible to coax it out on it's back, but not before unsoldering both the mains input wires from the fuse holders and unsoldering the speaker leads from the TV/Off/Radio switch.

This is an odd marriage of two toggle switches for power, and a rotary wafer switch (see photo).

With the radio removed it became clear that the lack of operation may be due to a wirewound resistor undressing itself!
Under the layers of dust and dead spiders, I could see that I was correct in identifying it as the same chassis as the Marconi T18DA radio I restored recently. It has some mechanical differences, but trader sheet 920 should cover the circuit.

I intend to get this on the bench and crack on with it's restoration tomorrow, at least I will be able to listen to the radio whilst tackling the TV chassis.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio chassis removal.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	103859   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-Radio switch.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	103860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis 1.jpg