View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2011, 5:47 pm   #167
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Thanks Keith but I don't have time to stand and stare although I will run the TV occasionally; it will be a good talking point for visitors.

Thanks for the excellent advice and good wishes Paul; I've changed all the wax caps with the exception of about two and these will also be changed very shortly.

WOW John; thanks so much for all the information and picures; I noticed it after I added my last post. I've already printed it off and taken it into the workshop where it will prove immensely useful.

What a most interesting afternoon I've just had watching a professional at work. It was a pleasure to have Mike Phelan in the workshop and the rate Mike was working I was sure Bron would be watching Corrie on the set tonight!!

It's many years since Mike worked on one of these but I wouldn't have guessed as he got stuck in and it didn't take long before the test card appeared briefly having hooked up the Aurora. As luck would have it the PY32 expired with a nice bright glow but although I would have had to wait for a new valve Mike casually added a short to get the heater chain up and running then soldered a temporary rectifier diode in and was back in business in no time.

As Mike worked I kept asking questions and when I popped out to make a drink Mike pulled the channel selector drum out and yes John the 0.1uF cap was in dire need of changing so Mike soldered a 630V item in but left me to re-fit the drum after firstly explaining in a lot of detail how I should go about it. Your advice came at a perfect time John because I could ask Mike to point out the caps which look like resistors etc so I've got a better understanding of what I need to do in my next session.

Mike made everything look incredibly simple and made a great deal of progress in such a short visit; I'm very impressed indeed.

One thing I was not impressed with was Poundland new 9V batteries; I had a pack of two which died within minutes of use with the Aurora; I'll spend a bit of time and hook the Aurora up to the lab PSU then won't be worried about powering it up in future whilst I work. I hope I'm not being unkind to these batteries as I don't know the power consumption of the Aurora.

I still have plenty more work to do and it will no doubt take me some time but to see the test card flash up briefly was the icing on the cake; the picture of the test card was badly distorted but it was there and I can't thank Mike enough; what a tremendous difference it makes to have someone so skilled by my side; it took me back many years to my apprentice days and I enjoyed myself.

As Keith rightly says I need to take a rest so will relax a bit tonight and spend a bit of quality time with Bron who has never complained whilst I've put the hours in on this set; I'm positive she deserves some retail therapy next week so will take her over to Boundary Mills in Colne which is our favourite retail outlet.

Kind regards, Col.