View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2017, 12:19 pm   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Sorting your valves!

The nicest valve collection, and most evocative of the vintage era, I have ever seen is - a friend's complete Mullard valve tester set-up. The HSVT itself set on a special steel desk which has compartments for Mullard's range of valves - all in original NOS boxes. Plus the card holding units. A joy to behold.
Me - all 2V Filament valves in their own big lidded plastic box, the same for 4V Filament valves. All ECC types in a couple of cardboard boxes. In a couple of larger cardboard boxes - all big BT's & Pentodes up to 50mA, and the same for over 50mA. Large DDT's, mixers, rectifiers, etc., all boxed separately. Finally, all miniature valves boxed alpha/numerically(or vica/versa). Back in the RAF, 'twas dead easy - CV1 to CV1000, so to speak, all in neat rows in a drawer or on a shelf. No confusing civilian multi-company references. When I started out on my vintage radio pursuits 10 years ago, it took me ages & ages to get into cross-referencing different manufacture's valves.
I've recently got involved with testing a friend's ancient(from 1917 onwards)(& horrendously rare & expensive) collection of valves. Its difficult to get a spec to study. Also - if anyone else has rare old valves in their collection - use special designated & secure stored well padded storage boxes.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Simpson; 24th Nov 2017 at 12:21 pm. Reason: puntuation