View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2015, 8:14 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Very rusty ViewMaster TV

The viewmaster was without doubt the very best home constructed design that was available.

The construction pack and data is excellent with good technical back up. I think I read in Practical television that around 30.000 had been built and were in regular use.

The circuit was very straightforward and if care was taken with construction the results were without doubt very good matching many commercial receivers of the period.

The chassis could accommodate almost any of the popular 9" and 12" triode or tetrode tubes with very little modification.

The RF gain is very good and a pre amplifier circuit was available if you resided in one of the many 'fringe' areas.

Many of these receivers were constructed by guys that had been involved with Radar during the war and much of the circuitry must have been familiar to them.

David, you will probably discover that the under chassis is relatively free from rust. Mine has some on the top but it was easily shifted with a pot scourer, the type that Tesco sell in a five pack for around 20p. Not too harsh and they have many uses.

I bet the original constructor, probably long departed, would be very amused
to see our entertainment with a couple of Viewmasters 60 years on.

The LOPT is very reliable and has provision for a Mullard EY51 EHT rectifier.
Many were fitted with the massive STC stick rectifier comprising hundreds of metal oxide discs in a paxolin tube.

A picture soon I hope. Just a last thought. If the tube is duff you could nick the one out of the nastyradio..

A couple of better pictures taken this morning and one of the spooky afterglow from the 5FP7.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster 2.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	110857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster 2 (1).jpg
Views:	728
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	110858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster 2 (2).jpg
Views:	676
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	110859   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	110861  

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 21st Jul 2015 at 8:29 am.