View Single Post
Old 7th May 2014, 9:52 am   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Building a Spitfire transmitter kit

I have now completed the installation of the unit in it's permanent home, positioning of the supplied 9 foot wire aerial is critical for correct operation.
Trial and error has got it about right, however there is some issues with source material, if used with my laptop there is a background hum present regardless of output volume, this issue was sorted by earthing the unit to a nearby water pipe.
Using with any device with line level outputs requires attenuation to avoid overloading the unit, but once set correctly results are good, sounding at least equal in volume and quality to other AM stations.

I am using an MP3 player as the source, this is a great piece of kit capable of playing from both SD cards and USB memory sticks, it can also record to both from a line input.

I am also using a mini FM stereo tx as well, so I now am able to listen to my own material on my favourite radio, the Pye Fenman 2.

I have quite a few small capacity SD cards and memory sticks to fill with my own programme material, so this will range from the 1930's to the 1960's.
I have loaded up an SD card with original wartime broadcasts, it is really quite spooky listening to Winston Churchill on my 1937 HMV!

Pictured below is my home broadcasting setup.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100408.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	92597