View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2020, 10:18 pm   #16
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Duxford Radio Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV 1120 View Post
My understanding of the situation (from talking to family members who volunteer on site) is that the flagship Airspace hangar needs to come down. This has been condemned due to repeated failures of the roof structure and is to be demolished and replaced by a revenue generating 'Travelodge' -style hotel. The space between the listed hangars and the American Air Museum is to be redeveloped to house the aircraft collection currently in Airspace and this requires the removal of the radio buildings and the Gibraltar gun.
That's really bizarre then. Why couldn't the DRS post about all this then just say that? Their post indicates some major falling-out between the IWM and their own charity over "something" to do with conflicts between H&S and radio regs policed by Ofcom. No hint that exhibition space is actually at a premium.

I'm inclined not to believe the above is the whole story. It sounds like a "political gloss" by IWM, who actually have (as far as I understand it) a lot of space at Duxford airfield, and could at least have offered DRS a piece of ground to erect their own building at their own expense. As it is, it appears to me that DRS have been ejected from the site wholesale.

Richard