View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2018, 1:35 am   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Help Pls = Grundig TK64 Motor Not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomrose1999 View Post
I removed the play / record head, and unfortunately its on 27 ohms per coil !! as opposed to theTk64 which is 1K ohms, and the TK60 which is about 500 per coil.. So looks like transistor unit heads have a low resistance compared to valve unit... so the hunt continues..
Yes -- as a general rule, valves work with voltages, whereas transistors work with currents. To impart the same amount of energy to the tape, a head being driven at the kind of low current valves can manage will need a higher resistance to develop a larger voltage (watts = volts * amps and volts = amps * ohms) than a head being driven by a transistor circuit that can put out more current than a valve, but cannot withstand such high voltages.

Quote:
now what to do with the Sony TC-230W....hmmm
Fix its power supply, of course, and have two working stereo tape recorders! Then when you've had about as much fun as you can with a two-head recorder, you'll need to look for a three-head machine. And maybe you'll be ready to see what can be done with separate reel and capstan motors -- the Japanese (perhaps necessitated to some extent to the use of two different mains frequencies, 50 and 60Hz side-by-side) managed to squeeze a lot of functionality out of just one motor, but there is always room for improvement ..... Tape recorder collecting can be addictive!