View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 5:04 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Lego tape recorder

Nice one Lawrence. It was only when I read "and a recording studio up top" that I spotted what you meant Ricard, after going through all the thumb nails a few times. £129 a set and for age 16+. Sorry but I never liked this stuff when it was basically just a coloured block. These little figures were in the experimental short films Ch4 got heavily criticised for in the early eighties. Nearly all of those ideas have now been subsumed into advertising.

To me [the Grinch] it's all just another example of "dumbing down" or infantilization like "adult" colouring books, Danny "Dire", Dr Who as a fashion accessory, or over excited University student "adults" dressed as Disney or Harry Potter characters.

At one point [now forgotten] it was Lego v Meccano at Xmas. The difference being that you could make a real [reel] Tape Recorder with Mecanno and some people probably did! They used to sell commercial giant sets to Science Labs that cost a fortune!

I couldn't reach the front door in the pub one night as it was invaded by 6th Form Disney party goers who ignored everyone already there! When I sought to pass through a young woman, quite drunk, patronised me with "seeing as you asked so nicely" [you old git]. She then smiled and said what do you think I am? [meaning the Snow White costume]. I said "An eight year old?" The smile disappeared and I rather regretted it...but not that much really.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Feb 2019 at 5:30 pm.