Octode

Default Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramophone1 View Post
I spent six pounds on a crabtree switched double socket, and I thought that was expensive.
I would hope that what you bought was a "proper" Crabtree socket, manufactured to a high standard of reliability and intrinsic safety

A.
Might be off topic, but intrinsic safety applies to equipment that can be used in explosive atmospheres, either gaseous or dust.

Intrinsically safe power connectors, such as would be used in an oil refinery, are a very specific design such that if disconnected they can not initiate an explosion. ATEX is the relevant standard.

A regular domestic mains plug and socket, switched or not, is definitely not intrinsically safe.
I'm sorry, and maybe i should know better having been involved in such environments for much of my working life.
In a moment of madness I used the more general meaning of the word intrinsic, that is to say that as part of its design and construction it was safe to use in its intended environment. I'm always wary of bargain electrical products these days and it's no guarantee I guess in this era of counterfeiting but I expect my electrician will be fitting proper branded sockets etc etc. He know my feelings on this.

A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 18th Jan 2019 at 12:55 pm. Reason: bad spelin