View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2018, 9:00 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Past Royal Institution Christmas Lectures

Agreed Bill but I just can't recall what they are. I found the programs on tapes found at my brothers's house and he can't recall how they got there!
I was pleased to see them but didn't get excited as I was sure the RS Lectures would be "in the can" already so to speak. I have found some of the more contemporary lectures bit wooden and unexciting as I said. The "Tomorrows World Live" revival on BBC4 a few days ago was a bit of a struggle as well. As luck would have it, I probably won't be back in Rammy for a number of weeks now so we'll all have to wait I'm afraid

I printed out the list of episodes and sure enough, the most recent missing set [1973] was delivered by....yes David Attenborough.
I was looking him up and it took some digging into Wikki to confirm that the program "30 Years of BBC2" [BC Sat 16/9/94] was presented by Mr A as he had been the Channel's first Controller! He took over BBC2 for the night and selected its archive content! I have it all on a VHS tape at LP. It all looked quite dated then, presentation wise! Ironically its No "625" in my Archive!

Further to what the BBC keeps and it's own awareness, there is a letter in next week's Radio Times praising the the BBC2 program [10th November] "Egon Schieleangerous Desires" Mr Harris suggests the Beeb should show again the 1980 film Egon Schiele which hasn't been seen on BBC2 since 1985 when it was broadcast at 11.30pm. I haven't got that one-have they

Dave