View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2020, 8:18 pm   #29
Paul Godley
Pentode

Default Re: Who is buying vintage TVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutty View Post
As the title says - but more specifically on eBay.

Anything with woodgrain (real or simulated) or valves seems to be selling very well.

I've seen run-of-the-mill 1980s plastic faux-wood lumps sell for £100+ and very tatty valve based sets for not inconsiderable sums.

Are these really appreciating in value that much? Are people hoarding them? Is there a sudden need for these sets as 'props'?

I have also seen people *trying* to get £300+ for a Ferguson Courier and others trying for £100+ for similar B&W portable sets.

This astounded me somewhat as I am trying to get a reasonably priced (hybrid would be fine) portable set for my kitchen so keep a watch on what is floating about. I just don't get it, as often they are not restored and would be quite a challenge to 'average joe' unless they had the right skills.

Your thoughts please...
Yes certain TV sets are now fetching high prices. On Ebay recently there was a Baird Model from late 60s (colour) which went for over a £1000.

I am a fan of the continental sets from the 1970s, the likes of Telefunken, SABA and Nordmende. I also have a B&O 3400 and Philips K12 Chassis sets plus a couple of Sony sets.
All these were well designed both cosmetically and internally.

However I have not been able to find just one of these sets over several years of searching (Bar the B&O and the Sony) anywhere in the UK - They seem to have completely disappeared!!
So I had to resort to searching in Germany which was far more fruitful.
Prices there are fairly cheap, the main cost is getting them here and the difficulty arranging collection with language barriers etc.
I have done this and have a fair collection, but it takes a lot of effort to arrange.
Also choice of courier is important. In the early days I used DHL but 2 portables were smashed on arrival (CRTS OK though) and one guy actually sent me a 26" Telefunken by this method (a huge box), that did arrive undamaged externally, but it no longer worked. (not looked at that yet). so it had a rough ride.
So I now use a private courier who takes care of these things and usually arrive safely. It would be easier if there were sets here in the UK though!