View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2019, 4:04 pm   #33
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Re: Repairing a Vidor CN359 - someone who's never done this before

Time for an update - and it's good news.

The radio now works! Over the course of yesterday morning and afternoon all the wax capacitors were replaced. I'm not experienced enough to attempt to restuff them (nor are the originals in good condition, nor are the replacements suitable for restuffing), but I'm keeping all the originals in a tub in case I ever fancy restuffing them at a later date.

With all the capacitors replaced, I took the radio outdoors (you can never be too sure), connected a ~20 foot piece of wire lying across the garden as an aerial, and turned it on. It came on first time, and to my amazement all the incandescent bulbs in the display worked. I was able to pickup many, many stations across the four bands (LW, MW, SW1, SW2).

I've attached a photo of the radio as I was testing it. It's still out of the cabinet, and please ignore the two bits of wood screwed to the bottom (they allowed me to balance it upside down in order to access the capacitors).

The only slight problem is that I couldn't find one of the wax capacitors, and therefore I have a single capacitor leftover that I could not replace. It's a 0.01uF capacitor, so is either C30 or C33 in the schematic I have. Attached is a snippet of the schematic showing how C30 and C33 fit into the circuit, I hope it's specific and cropped enough to be permitted under the forum rules. I've also attached a photo of the other 0.01uF capacitor (the one I managed to find and replace) with a paperclip for size. Since the radio works, I'm inclined to leave as-is, unless the capacitor could damage the set in some way, in which case I'll try and reverse-engineer the schematic to work out where the missing wax capacitor is. Thoughts?

Some post-repair questions:
1.) Now that I've got it working, and while I've still got the chassis out of the cabinet, is there anything else I should do? I'll probably give the front of the dial glass a quick clean (not the back - I know from reading other posts how easily the markings come off).
2.) Two of the knobs are missing. I don't suppose anyone here has a couples of spares? I've attached a photo of the front and rear of one of the knobs, and amhappy to pay a few pounds + postage to complete my set.
3.) Is it advisable to replace the power cable? It still has what I imagine is the original cable, a fabric-y one which looks fine to me. I'm currently inclined to leave it as-is. (I'll only ever be using the radio when I'm in the room, so I'll be able to keep an eye on it).
4.) I left the RadioSpares replacement 16/32 uF capacitor in the radio, but completely disconnected all of it's leads. Taking it out would leave an unsightly hole in the chassis, I assume it is OK to leave in?

Finally, and most importantly, I would like to say a huge thanks to the kind folks here that have helped me get this running. Particularly Mike - without your detailed parts list I would never have managed to even attempt a repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vidor-working.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	186309   Click image for larger version

Name:	capacitors-schem.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	186310   Click image for larger version

Name:	missing-capacitor.jpg
Views:	74