UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   AWM1361 IC data? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161111)

Martin G7MRV 3rd Nov 2019 2:20 pm

AWM1361 IC data?

Has anyone come across this IC before? Device AWM1361. It is used as the swept tone and switching controller in the BE375 SARBE-5, and is the only component in the entire radio that I dont recognise.

It is a 12 pin device, in what looks from the service manual to be a TO-5 can. I've so far not found any data on-line.

I suspect it is a custom/house marked part, but it might just be obscure!

Any help with data on this would be much appreciated,

Martin G7MRV

Martin G7MRV 7th Nov 2019 1:32 pm

Re: AWM1361 IC data?

Looks like no one knows this beasties!

Can anyone give me a lead on the prefix? Perhaps if I can identify the manufacturer...

Unless of course 'AWM' stands for something like 'automatic warning module'...

plaka78 7th Nov 2019 1:45 pm

I also had a look on the internet, absolutely nothing reference this IC.

Maarten 7th Nov 2019 7:30 pm

Do you have a picture of it? Even small clues such as the layout and font of the stamp could help.

SiriusHardware 7th Nov 2019 7:41 pm

Is it definitely an IC, not something weird like a SAW filter?

Martin G7MRV 7th Nov 2019 7:51 pm

I don't have an image yet, as I don't yet have the unit to photograph. It is an IC, and generates the downward swept distress audio tone, and the control switching of the beacon transmitter.

That's pretty much all I know about it.

SiriusHardware 7th Nov 2019 7:59 pm

Does anyone have a Tower's IC selector? There used to be some fairly obscure equivalents listed in that.

Terry_VK5TM 8th Nov 2019 1:16 am

I suspect, being military equipment, that is a special ic/house numbered chip.

Plenty of pics of the unit on the net but couldn't find one of the internals.

Martin G7MRV 12th Nov 2019 7:11 am

I have the service manual for it - every other part is marked in normal consumer codes. This is the one and only 'special' part in the whole radio (discounting the phenomenally small and cute tapped toroids in the RF sections!), so I suspect it was specially manufactured in order to produce the dual downwards swept tone bursts and the beacon Tx switching.

I have a SARBE-6 (BE515) working and modified to disable any Tx, but dont have the schematics for it (worked the switching scheme out based on the SARBE-5 and lots of testing with a multimeter!), not sure if it uses the same IC. I have the SARBE-5 on its way to me from Italy.

Since the mods to disable Tx effectively make this IC redundant, and its on its own little plug in board (I think, might be some other circuits on there), I might remove it to play with. Possibly freeing up some space for an RF pre-amp to improve the receiver.

Martin G7MRV 14th Nov 2019 3:05 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I now have the SARBE-5 in my possession. I'm in the process of a few minor repairs to it, as the antenna socket was loose and the antenna connections broken. It seems from the self-test that the Tx side is unserviceable, but receive is working (I'll be disabling the Tx circuits anyway! I've already pulled the crystals!)

This means that Iv'e been able to locate, remove, and photograph the switching board holding this IC, photo attached.

It is marked differently than in the schematic! It looks like 69886 or 98869.

Martin

SiriusHardware 14th Nov 2019 3:10 pm

It's remarkably unlucky that all the digits in the part number are invertable, but I would assume it should be read the same way up as the 'AWA' logo, so '69886'.

SiriusHardware 14th Nov 2019 3:14 pm

This would appear to be the company which made it - same logo as well. Maybe a lead you can follow?

http://www.awa.com.au/about-us/our-history/

Martin G7MRV 14th Nov 2019 3:23 pm

Thats interesting, yes certainly they have been involved in the industry sectors appropriate to the device! The fact they have a quite in-depth history page suggests that someone with the company is acting as an archivist, so may be able to locate the device info!

Martin G7MRV 14th Nov 2019 4:03 pm

Ive dropped them a couple of emails. Seems that the current AWA might be a spin-off from the previous company, but there was advice on contacting someone about spares for older equipment.

Terry_VK5TM 15th Nov 2019 12:13 am

Yes, I knew I had seen the previously described "AWM" somewhere before - Australian Wireless Microelectronics.

Good luck with the email, hope they can help.