UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Sanyo VTC-5000 Won't let me eject cassette (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=194637)

trellis 23rd Sep 2022 11:07 am

Sanyo VTC-5000 Won't let me eject cassette

Just acquired a nice-looking Sanyo VTC-5000, and I put a tape in it to check the mechanism worked (actually it was an empty cassette shell which I use for this purpose).

It all seemed happy and all transport controls worked, until I came to try to eject the cassette - it won't let me push the eject button. The deck unlaces fully to the end-stop (confirmed by manually turning the pulley), but the eject button cannot be pressed.

It feels like the mechanism which is supposed to prevent the eject button being pressed when the tape is laced-up isn't releasing for some reason.

I know these machines have a firmware bug which causes them to lace-up before shutting down when a problem is detected, but it's not that - the deck is definitely in the fully unlaced position.

Is it possible to manually release the cassette carriage in some way to enable me to get the cassette out, without dismantling the machine?

Welsh Anorak 23rd Sep 2022 11:15 am

Re: Sanyo VTC-5000 Won't let me eject cassette

I think there's a second small belt that does this, but of course you need to have the carriage open to get to it!
Careful examination of the mechansim should help and you might be able to get a small probe in there to help it along.
Apologies if I'm confusing this with the 5300 series - it's been a while since we had one on the bench!

trellis 23rd Sep 2022 2:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak (Post 1501331)
I think there's a second small belt that does this, but of course you need to have the carriage open to get to it!
Careful examination of the mechansim should help and you might be able to get a small probe in there to help it along.
Apologies if I'm confusing this with the 5300 series - it's been a while since we had one on the bench!

Ah, I've found a complete service manual now, and this shows the location of the eject lock. There should be a boss on the loading ring that operates the lock lever when the ring reaches the fully unloaded position. The diagram isn't all that clear, but at least I now know roughly where to look. I don't think there's a belt involved?

trellis 24th Sep 2022 10:36 am

Sorted! The locking mechanism was releasing correctly, but the actual eject mechanism was just stuck. I managed to push it with a screwdriver and the tape ejected. After manually working the linkage a bit, it has now freed up and works but is a bit sticky; it just needs a bit of lubrication and it will work perfectly.

Next step is to try a real tape and see if I get anything out of it. It looks like it has never been touched before, so will most likely need the take-up torque modification, but I'll give it a try first.

spamfritter 24th Sep 2022 2:47 pm

Yes, they are fun aren't they ! I had a lot of problems with one of mine but guidance from here and particularly Fivos sorted me out. I have an old recorded tape that I keep for testing and it is mangled in several places but i just moved it on to a new section until I solved my problem. Lots of space on an old 3 hour tape to mangle ! Belts are now getting hard to find and particularly idler wheels. The last I purchased came from Melbourne Australia !

trellis 24th Sep 2022 5:41 pm

I've always loved video recorders ever since I was a small child. I think they're absolutely fascinating and amazing machines.

toshiba tony 24th Sep 2022 6:11 pm

The 5000 was (for me) an easier machine than the earlier one. FF and RW always seemed better than being staying laced. I had one in a few weeks ago, new idler and she was good to go. It will see me out anyway. Even the PSU was good. SIMPLE.