UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Television in the Home (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176995)

Panrock 3rd May 2021 11:13 pm

Re: Television in the Home

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1370445)
That could well be the mains lead strung out, doing duty as a "Baird Mains Aerial"!

I wonder how well this 'convenience feature' generally worked? I would have thought it would be a recipe for modulation hum...

Steve

Heatercathodeshort 4th May 2021 11:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1370445)
Shown before elsewhere on this forum but included here for completeness... well, if you allow a hospital to stand in for a home.
That could well be the mains lead strung out, doing duty as a "Baird Mains Aerial"!Steve

Just out of interest the Country branch of GOSH was situated at Tadworth Surrey. I was a patient there in 1959 and watched with great interest the installation of a new Ekco 21" Tv.

The small Granada colour portables were known as the 'Colourette' I don't think they were of Japanese manufacture. They contained a fair number of valves and gave a mediocre performance. I think the name SABA comes to mind but it's a long time ago. John.

Graham G3ZVT 4th May 2021 7:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1370824)

The small Granada colour portables were known as the 'Colourette' I don't think they were of Japanese manufacture. They contained a fair number of valves and gave a mediocre performance. I think the name SABA comes to mind but it's a long time ago. John.

They were rebadged Kuba Portacolor C211 without the VHF tuner.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kuba_porta_color.html

Horrid things!

Panrock 7th May 2021 3:21 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Taken from a picture hanging in my workshop.

Here we see "Television as a new-born baby". The woman is looking at her husband as if she has been given an idea.

But what is the set with the Ediswan Mazda tube?

Steve

peter_scott 8th May 2021 12:00 pm

I wonder if the set in the Ediswan Mazda advert is deliberately anonymised.

Quite a lot of domestic scenes here.

Peter.

Panrock 8th May 2021 12:38 pm

Well if you can't find it, I doubt anyone else can and we can assume it's anonymised. Thank you Peter.

Steve

Panrock 1st Oct 2021 3:43 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this must be Leslie Mitchell until taking a closer look. Is the set pre-war or post-war?

Steve

ms660 1st Oct 2021 3:56 pm

https://www.earlytelevision.org/cossor_1210.html

?

Lawrence.

Panrock 1st Oct 2021 4:24 pm

Yes, looks like the 1939 model. The 1946 variant on Jonz site has a plain speaker aperture.

I think these sets were marketed under the Radio Rentals name too, but I may be wrong.

Steve

ms660 1st Oct 2021 4:33 pm

Here's a W.W. picture and brief description:

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...ssor%201210%22

Lawrence.

Panrock 1st Oct 2021 4:40 pm

1 Attachment(s)
And here is it again - with fewer grille spars - and mention of rental.

Steve

Panrock 26th Feb 2022 10:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Spotted on Talking Pictures TV last night... this set appears at the end of the 1945 film "Their Invisible Inheritance", which deals with the electrical improvements to be expected in the post war home.

This looks like it could be a 1939 Baird T25.

Steve

beery 1st Mar 2022 3:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1452510)
Spotted on Talking Pictures TV last night... this set appears at the end of the 1945 film "Their Invisible Inheritance", which deals with the electrical improvements to be expected in the post war home.

This looks like it could be a 1939 Baird T25.

Steve

I wonder if that was a set belonging to the film studio and if so, whether it was the very same set that was in the 1946 William Hartnell film "Appointment with Crime"?

Cheers
Andy

beery 1st Mar 2022 3:21 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I couldn't resist posting this photo of a TV in the home.
This HMV 900 has been in the house since November last year. My 5 year old daughter is not sure what to make of it. My wife just calls it "The Monster".
It is now the subject of a very lengthy overhaul.

Cheers
Andy

Panrock 1st Mar 2022 3:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beery (Post 1453192)
I wonder if that was a set belonging to the film studio and if so, whether it was the very same set that was in the 1946 William Hartnell film "Appointment with Crime"?

I can't find it included in this thread, but I am sure I once posted another picture on this board showing a set from a film that turned out to be a Baird T25. Maybe this was from the same film. Have you got a clip?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beery (Post 1453195)
Hi all,
I couldn't resist posting this photo of a TV in the home.
This HMV 900 has been in the house since November last year. My 5 year old daughter is not sure what to make of it. My wife just calls it "The Monster".
It is now the subject of a very lengthy overhaul.

Better a lengthy overhaul than a lengthy divorce! :-D To be honest, it is monstrous isn't it? Perhaps best suited to a large room in a castle.

Steve

beery 1st Mar 2022 3:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1453200)
I can't find it included in this thread, but I am sure I once posted another picture on this board showing a set from a film that turned out to be a Baird T25. Maybe this was from the same film.

I've found it here:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=166053

Cheers
Andy

Panrock 1st Mar 2022 3:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Well done Andy!

And here indeed is William Hartnell. Right period. Right set. Same film company?

Steve

Panrock 1st Mar 2022 3:58 pm

Has anyone here ever worked on a Baird T25... in the Museum perhaps? If it's anything like the T18, it would have given a good picture but was very sensitive to mains voltage variations.

Steve

Panrock 30th Jul 2022 5:09 am

2 Attachment(s)
Here's another recently seen on Talking Pictures TV... in the 1947 film "Just William's Luck". It is seen in a room at Honeysuckle Cottage, an upmarket home.

As usual in old films, it appears only fleetingly... makes it all the more tantalising! It is almost certainly pre-war: c.1939 from the styling. There are two views. One shows the vertical banding on the cabinet.

What is it?

Steve

peter_scott 30th Jul 2022 9:50 am

The screen is odd but it looks a bit like a Baird T26.

Peter