UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   DuMont 1100P Oscilloscope Facia Plate Chipped Corner Repair? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196519)

Chris55000 4th Dec 2022 12:05 am

DuMont 1100P Oscilloscope Facia Plate Chipped Corner Repair?

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone give me any tips for repairing or replacing the facia plate of a DuMont 1100P Oscilloscope please?

This facia plate appears to have the design silk–screened onto what appears to be a thin card/plastic material about 0.4 mm thick, glued to the aluminium plate behind on which the controls and switches are affixed, and the top right–hand corner has quite a large chip broken off it, and unfortunately the aluminium front bezel casting doesn't cover the damage!

I think (emphasis on the think!) I'm sufficiently skilled on my sPlan or Front Panel Desgner software to create another overlay sheet in the same design and colours using very similar fonts (I think it's Letter Gothic) can anyone suggest what material to fabricate a new facia and the best way to scan the old one and print the replacement please?

The chances of getting hold of another 1100P oscilloscope to get another panel from are virtually nil, and yes, I am aware I would have to remove every knob and switch from the front chassis to attempt to deal with this!

Chris Williams

Tim 4th Dec 2022 12:18 pm

Re: DuMont 1100P Oscilloscope Facia Plate Chipped Corner Repair?

Hi Chris.
How about one of those places that make plaques/key rings etc?
My wife’s friend has a company*that does mail order, and can laser cut large sheets of various materials including plastic, and also lettering and graphics.
I’m sure her machine can also cut your apertures/holes, so a similar outfit near you could probably do the same. They might even be able to copy your original. I’m not sure if they would need you to create some sort of digital file, or if they could do it themselves. You never know they might like something a bit different.

Maybe somewhere local to you that makes signs or notices for businesses?

* This isn’t a “plug” or a recommendation it’s simply that we talk about it when she drops by, and she’s the only person I know who does it.

fetteler 4th Dec 2022 1:23 pm

That's a very interesting idea Tim, I'll be following this and bearing it in mind for when I need a 'posh' front panel:)

Steve.

Chris55000 4th Dec 2022 2:08 pm

I've had a look round but all I can find are firms that makes small business cards or metal laser–cut things with no facilities to offer printed sheets!

Can anyone suggest any firms by Private Message I could enquire to?

Chris Williams

Tim 4th Dec 2022 3:13 pm

Google “ Printing on plastic”