UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181001)

unitelex 10th Jun 2021 8:56 pm

Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin

I found by experiment that I could tint normally clear epoxy resin very easily using laser toner powder (laser printer).

I needed to achieve a dark anthracite colour to fill in a chipped surface.
I am aware that black epoxy is available but did not have any nor did I want to purchase a tube especially for this very small job.

I used black toner powder, added while mixing the clear adhesive and hardener together. While setting I noticed that the result was going to end up too glossy compared to the base material so while it was still tacky I dusted the surface with more toner giving a matt look. The results were surprisingly good.

I have not tried with magenta, blue or yellow toner or any blending of these.

Best Regards
Chris

emeritus 11th Jun 2021 11:08 am

Re: Method for colouring and texturing epoxy resin

When I was a student, in the lab at STC where I did work experience, every bench had a small tool box which included a pack of Araldite and a small jar of Titanium Oxide powder that they used to mix with the Araldite where a white finish was required. I have coloured Araldite brown to fix some earthenware plant pots by grinding a piece of broken pot in my wife's kitchen pestle and mortar to a very fine powder.

greenstar 14th Jun 2021 4:34 pm

I wonder how to achieve a brown bakelite colour and whether filing/grinding bakelite to mix with it would achieve that? I guess this has been done effectively.

chriswood1900 19th Jun 2021 12:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstar (Post 1382648)
I wonder how to achieve a brown bakelite colour and whether filing/grinding bakelite to mix with it would achieve that? I guess this has been done effectively.

I think you might need to be careful where you get the old Bakelite from, as some used asbestos fibres as the filler and if ground up they may present a health hazard.

vintage_8bit 28th Aug 2021 8:59 pm

Today I was repairing a garden water feature clay pot. I used Araldite rapid. I coloured it with a couple of drops of Bolgers spirit based wood dye. It mixed easily and the mixture cured as normal. I was quite pleased with the result, more for thoughts on future use. Colin

Bazz4CQJ 28th Aug 2021 9:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_8bit (Post 1402129)
Today I was repairing a garden water feature clay pot. I used Araldite rapid. I coloured it with a couple of drops of Bolgers spirit based wood dye. It mixed easily and the mixture cured as normal. I was quite pleased with the result, more for thoughts on future use. Colin

It might be the case that a solvent colourant additive could have a more uncertain effect on the adhesive strength than a finely powdered solid. I bet that somewhere in the Arts and Craft world there is just the right stuff.

B

Refugee 29th Aug 2021 1:01 am

Where I live you can dig up clay that is a good match for plant pot repairs once dries and mixed with epoxy.