UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Brown MK 13A socket (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175268)

mark_in_manc 14th Jan 2021 2:43 pm

Brown MK 13A socket

I wonder if anyone has one of these - the self-contained, unswitched ones designed to stand proud of a skirting board - they would sell me. I am finishing off an early Lyons variac, whose Tufnol covers over the terminals look like they once had one of these attached to them, now missing. I have a recent one in a steel box but I think it would spoil the look!
Thanks
Mark

Refugee 14th Jan 2021 3:46 pm

Re: Brown MK 13A socket

Are you looking for surface mount or box mount?

mark_in_manc 14th Jan 2021 4:14 pm

Something which would stand proud of the skirting board by a couple of inches, and which would normally only need a hole drilled through the skirting for the cable rather than a square recess letting in. I hope that’s more clear!

GrimJosef 14th Jan 2021 4:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this ? (I don't have one, but a picture's worth a thousand words ;D).

Cheers,

GJ

mark_in_manc 14th Jan 2021 5:00 pm

You got it - thanks, GJ.

Refugee 15th Jan 2021 1:29 am

2 Attachment(s)
It would be a shame to split up an original NOS box of 5 for just one.
A 1950s recreation project needing NOS everything would be best for what I have got.

Herald1360 15th Jan 2021 2:07 am

Might be easier to find a white one......

mark_in_manc 15th Jan 2021 8:25 am

I see what you mean! I think I am hoping for a ratty one covered in paint from the bottom of someone’s scrap box :)

Ed_Dinning 15th Jan 2021 9:02 am

Hi Mark, there were also socket plates and back boxes in brown available as well

Ed

Stockden 15th Jan 2021 9:10 am

I think I may have one of these Mark, I’ll have a dig into the chaos of my workshop and let you know.

Are you in a hurry to get it?

Hugh

G6ONEDave 15th Jan 2021 11:18 am

I have just found one of these old sockets, it's MK type 5429 unswitched in brown. I will send a PM to you.
Dave

mark_in_manc 15th Jan 2021 4:25 pm

Hugh, thereís no rush - Dave says his is, err, well run in, so if you have a look and find one too Iíd still like to know. Either way itís good to know Iíll have something to work with - thanks both.
Mark

Stockden 18th Jan 2021 5:49 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Found it Mark! Drop me a PM if it's what you're after, it's yours for the price of postage.

Like many others I'm back in shielding and "strongly advised" not to go out, so dispatch may have to wait until I get my vaccination slot I'm afraid.

Hugh

mark_in_manc 19th Jan 2021 3:53 pm

Hugh, that’s great, thanks. The same as Dave kindly offered I think, but with the knockouts intact which will be handy. I am in no rush, so please do wait until you’ve had a shot (my Mum has had the first, and tells me it was well organised and painless). Just let me know, and I will send my address by PM. Thanks, Mark