UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NVCF Sunday 14th May (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136321)

audiomagpie 6th May 2017 9:35 pm

NVCF Sunday 14th May

Just a reminder that it's only a week to go now!

See https://www.nvcf.org.uk for location/times/prices/info, etc.

Here's a short video of the 2015 event as a taster, turn up your speakers and enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofWfHXZWdo

Everybody's welcome, see you there!

Lloyd 1985 6th May 2017 11:11 pm

Re: NVCF Sunday 14th May

Is it really?! That came round quick! I hope to be there, I missed it last year as I was on holiday. I must try to not buy so much stuff this time...

Regards,
Lloyd.

neil29 6th May 2017 11:29 pm

I've missed a couple of times now and it depends whether I can sort my car out ready for sunday otherwise i'll miss this years too :o.

Cheers
Neil.

Pamphonica 8th May 2017 10:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
As usual Jeffrey, Brian, and I will be raising money for the Dulwich Vintage Wireless Museum on the NVCF Bring and Buy stall. The B&B will probably be inside the hall near the entrance as per last year. Look for a B&B flag.

There are 2 ways to sell stuff on the B&B.

1: Donation with 100% going to the Vintage Wireless Museum. Most of our funds are raised this way and it's easy for us as there's no admin for labels, lists etc.

2: Commission Sale with 10% commission to the Museum. If you have more than 2 or 3 items it helps us a lot if you can make a numbered list with prices, and put a corresponding numbered price label on each item. We then add a unique serial letter to your list and your labels to identify your items. We can do labeling/listing on the day but it means longer waits for everyone to check items in. Please print out and use the attached listing sheet if possible.

Please remember to collect unsold items before close of play - we can't store them!

We raise hundreds of pounds at each event for the museum, thanks to your generosity.

See you there,

Jeremy

winston_1 9th May 2017 10:42 am

What is the procedure for the B & B? I have a couple of items to bring. Do I need to get there early? They are largish so I will need to bring them in on a trolley. Do I pay my entrance first then go outside to get them or what?

threeseven 9th May 2017 12:33 pm

You can put things on the B&B at any time within reason but the sooner the better for the best chance of selling. You can queue with the items on a trolley, if practical. and pay the entrance fee as normal, then go straight to the B&B to unload. At the end of the event you find out what you've sold, and take any unsold items away with you. Good luck!

Reelman 9th May 2017 4:48 pm

If you go to just one Vintage event a year, this is the one to go to!
Peter

harvestgold 10th May 2017 6:31 pm

I hope the bring & buy stall is going to be a big one as usual, I've got a car load of stuff to bring again this year!

I've been very pleased the last few years when nearly all the stuff I've sold or donated has been moved on. . .

Neil.

Dave Moll 11th May 2017 7:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by winston_1 (Post 942466)
What is the procedure for the B & B? I have a couple of items to bring. Do I need to get there early? They are largish so I will need to bring them in on a trolley. Do I pay my entrance first then go outside to get them or what?

I believe that the venue has a rule that no trolleys are allowed in the hall once the public are admitted.

If the B&B is in its usual place, it may be possible to pass items over before passing through the security barrier, but the more normal procedure is to pay the entrance fee first. You are then able to pass in and out as you please once you have your "proof of purchase" (usually a wrist band).

murphymad 11th May 2017 11:33 am

Hello All,

Yes for Event insurance and Health and Safety reasons the hall owners do not allow the use of trolleys within the hall after early entry (09:00) when the doors are first opened to the public.
They are very strict on this point and the fire safety aspect of keeping the gangways clear and free from stall holders building piles of stuff in front of their tables.

The only concession to this is if a member of the security staff are with the trolley at all times it is within the hall to ensure it does not accidentally become a hazard to people walking around.

I suggest that you ask for Greg Hewitt at the cash desk on arrival and we will see if we can get your car to the nearest entry door to the B&B for unloading.

Mike...

Paul Stenning 11th May 2017 8:43 pm

I can't get there this year unfortunately. Have a great day everyone.

2ombieboy 12th May 2017 7:59 pm

Looking forwards to it my first time going and i am standing. should be good

Alan

Pamphonica 15th May 2017 12:59 pm

A huge thankyou to all the organisers for another very successful and well-managed show, now under the chairmanship of Greg.

The Bring & Buy was doing a brisk trade throughout. Last year we made £1000 for the Dulwich British Vintage Wireless & TV Museum.
This year smashed that total and we will be sending £1300 to the museum shortly.

Thank you all for your generosity on donations, and for using the B&B to sell your unwanted items. I suspect that quite a few cars went home a lot lighter than they had arrived.

It's a shame we have to wait till next year for the next NVCF! But there are all the other BVWS events so I hope to see many of you there.

Dave Moll 15th May 2017 2:07 pm

Many thanks to those on the B&B for making a significant dent in the collection of spare Practical Wireless magazines I brought in.

As to the rest of the event, I reckon I spent about £100 on various items, including various telephone bits and bobs, filling a number of gaps in my magazine collections... and, amazingly, finding a supply of affordable sockets for some giant light bulbs I acquired in my local auction (designated Goliath Edison Screw, or GES for short).

I makes for a long day travelling down from Cumbria and back, but I always look forward to the NVCF each year.

threeseven 15th May 2017 2:44 pm

I saw those lighting sockets!! Another vote for a great NVCF!

Karen O 15th May 2017 4:12 pm

I had a great time looking at all the wonderful exhibits. I didn't buy many things but this is a reflection of my rammed house rather than the items on sale (You've got one of those! Why don't you get that one working first?)

Anyway, I bumped into a couple of forum members, and one ex forum member :o

I came away with three boxes of Practical Wireless and Everyday/Practical Electronics ;)

Plenty of nostalgic reading awaits!

David G4EBT 15th May 2017 4:28 pm

So pleased to hear that the Bring & Buy did even better this year than last. I guessed it would do well as all the volunteer helpers were rushed off their feet.

Along with my wife we've been visiting the NVCF each year since it was at the NEC, then the Motorcycle museum, prior to its move to Warwick. (Best venue by far!). For the first time ever, this year, with my 'sensible head on', I decided to have a table to have a good clear-out, which was well overdue. Almost everything we took sold, so we came away with mostly empty boxes. Mission accomplished!

I was truly impressed with the standard of organisation. We arrived at 7am, were ushered to a parking spot right alongside the correct door nearest to our table, then when the doors were opened, our table was just 6 metres from the door, making it so easy to unload.

We'd taken a small collapsible trolley, but were very impressed with the large wheeled trollies provided. Everyone unloaded in an orderly fashion, then at the end of the show, within half an hour, most stall-holders had loaded up and the tables were being folded away. When everything runs like clockwork it makes it all seem easy, but clearly it isn't, and much thought and organisation goes into it, and of course, the Society have to satisfy all the strict requirements of the Centre management, and rightly so.

Having seen at first hand how many people are involved, it starts to make the table cost seem cheap.

Nice to hook up with so many forum friends and acquaintances. If you stand behind a table all day (apart from brief 'sorties'!), sooner or later, everyone crosses your path at least once, and so it was. It was especially nice to meet forum member 'Eddie CE' who'd made the trip over to the UK from Germany to visit the Museum and the NVCF.

I was truly bemused to note that the next show at the Centre, on 21 May, is the Annual Tarantula Society Show, billed as 'the Crufts of the tarantula world' in which 30,000 (yes, 30k!) tarantulas compete for best in show, based on poise, colouring, and several other features considered desirable in a notewothy tarantula!

I dare say that when the spider enthusiasts arrive, they'll say:

'You'll never guess what they had here last Sunday - vintage radios'!! "They did WHAT? Really? How bizarre!".

Each to their own. :-)

threeseven 15th May 2017 5:15 pm

Arrrrgh, spiders!! 8-o

Phil G4SPZ 15th May 2017 10:54 pm

Interesting to ponder on how to write the risk assessment for a tarantula exhibition... makes our interest look a doddle by comparison. At least most of the spiders that inhabit vintage radios are usually dead, harmless, or both.

This was the first NVCF I've missed for many years (sob) but I'm delighted to hear how successful it was.

Lloyd 1985 16th May 2017 12:56 am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David G4EBT (Post 943990)
I was truly bemused to note that the next show at the Centre, on 21 May, is the Annual Tarantula Society Show

Yuck! I'm pleased that they are coming in after we'd been there! Imagine you get your latest acquisitions home, open the back of one to see what's in it, only to find a tarantula staring back at you! Probably won't fit up the hoover pipe either... 8-o

It was another great day out, totally enjoyed it! I shouldn't really have been there, being jobless, and having no money coming in! But I decided that it'd be ok, so long as I didn't spend too much, and I missed it last year. It was good to catch up with people I only see there again, and to meet new people, and people I've only ever met on the forum. I came away with a boot full of goodies, one thing I've been after for a while, an Ekco T161! Quite unusual to come away with something that's on my list! I missed out on a lovely Clarke's Atlas 758, by only 5 minutes!! As usual, I had to buy a wreck, so got a little Ekco U76 'Consort' radio, which looks to have been dropped at some point, with a chunk out of the back corner, and one of the knobs half missing, I only really bought it because it was black, and I've only ever seen them in brown 'walnut' Bakelite before. I would have really liked the black and chrome Ekco AC85, that looked lovely! Bargain of the day had to be the Panasonic Mini-disc recorder for £3, I half expected it to be a dud, but it works absolutely fine! Even had a disc in it, which contained some most awful rap music, so was quickly erased. I was worried it might be duff as there was some green corrosion in the battery compartment. Also got myself another Avo 8, since my old one has become BER, this one didn't look too promising either, with corrosion in the battery compartment, but for £5 it's got to be of some use! It does seem more lively than my old one, it measures voltages, but they are showing higher than they really are, I was putting in 7V and getting a reading of 10V. Also thanks to BrianC for bringing me 2 CRT's :)

Anyway, here's a photo of the days spoils! Bring on next years event!

Regards,
Lloyd