UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tool box blue metal hammer paint (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=167101)

greg_simons 23rd May 2020 5:59 pm

Tool box blue metal hammer paint

Just got a nice little labgear colourbar generator and thought it would be nice to refinish the cabinet, the original paint finish is in the title and was popular for donkey's years, but, do you think i can find any anywhere, where's it all gone?, why can't i find any, does anyone know to a source, all i need is a 400ml spray tin!.
Greg.

ajgriff 23rd May 2020 6:45 pm

Re: tool box blue metal hammer paint

I'm sure you've been round this loop but Hammerite with a hammered, rather than smooth, finish looks like a possible option. Trouble is the 400ml spray doesn't come in blue. Blue only appears to be available as a brush on paint. Will be interested to see what you manage to find as I have a similar piece of kit that could do with a fresh coat of paint.

Alan

vidjoman 23rd May 2020 6:52 pm

I got a can of blue hammer finish spray from Lidl a short while ago. It’ll be available again some time, just keep an eye out for it. 400ml cost £2.99 I think. Used it to respray a jukebox chassis. Think it’s a bit brighter/darker, more like Royal blue. Got an excellent finish.

Guest 23rd May 2020 6:54 pm

Hammerite brush paint works a treat, you just slap it on (as per instructions, no fancy "brushing out") and wait. The thinners are as expensive as the paint, buy some cheap brushes. A classic finish for test gear.

Skywave 24th May 2020 12:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1251149)
The thinners [for Hammerite paint] are as expensive as is the paint.

Hammerite: for thinning and brush cleaning, use acetone. A lot cheaper than the proprietary stuff & just as effective.

Al.

greg_simons 24th May 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Tool box blue metal hammer paint

Unbelievably hard to track down, it's as though the whole internet says no, especially blue, after a LOT of fruitless searches amazon uk have some plasticote outdoor hammered finish blue, not cheap at £15, still trying to justify the cost but it's a solution.
Greg.

vinrads 24th May 2020 5:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidjoman (Post 1251148)
I got a can of blue hammer finish spray from Lidl a short while ago. It’ll be available again some time, just keep an eye out for it. 400ml cost £2.99 I think. Used it to respray a jukebox chassis. Think it’s a bit brighter/darker, more like Royal blue. Got an excellent finish.

Now if it was £2.99 that is cheap , clear the shelf. Mick.

Petrol is also a good thinners !

David G4EBT 24th May 2020 6:07 pm

Blue Brush-on Hammerite (not smooth) appears to be available in 750 ml tins on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5.../dp/B0051HF2N2

Odd how times change. Not so long ago blue and silver seemed to be by far the most popular colours

vidjoman 24th May 2020 8:31 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the Amplifier chassis that I recently completed with a full rebuild. The chassis was very rusty and that is now part of the finish. The transformers were originals from 1956 ish and survived despite the serious corrosion on the rest of it. All other components were replaced and pleased to say it worked as soon as switched on. It had been 'painted' with metallic silver including the valve bases and everything else coated very thickly. Also shown is a part of the underside of the rusty chassis.
Attachment 206684Attachment 206685Attachment 206686

vinrads 24th May 2020 11:29 pm

Very nice indeed I wonder if it was a jukebox amp .Mick.

vidjoman 25th May 2020 8:31 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinrads (Post 1251729)
Very nice indeed I wonder if it was a jukebox amp .Mick.

Yes it is a Jukebox amp. Customer hasn't fitted it yet as he's put it on a shelf to look at and admire. He's got several Jukes to play anyway so no panic to refit.

Petedox 25th May 2020 9:33 am

Greg, I have always used a local paint factor for my work. Take them a sample and they can match it while you wait.

The last match I had cost £10.99 for a 400ml spray can. They can generally make a small touch up tin aswell for a few quid. So only a bit more expensive than a rattle can from Halfords.

The beauty of the using a paint factor is that it is 'professional' paint made for the trade, it covers well and cures quickly. Also, the can they supply has a much better aerosol spray pattern.

greg_simons 25th May 2020 6:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petedox (Post 1251795)
Greg, I have always used a local paint factor for my work. Take them a sample and they can match it while you wait.

The last match I had cost £10.99 for a 400ml spray can. They can generally make a small touch up tin aswell for a few quid. So only a bit more expensive than a rattle can from Halfords.

The beauty of the using a paint factor is that it is 'professional' paint made for the trade, it covers well and cures quickly. Also, the can they supply has a much better aerosol spray pattern.

Hi pete
That's a great idea which i will look into, see if there's a local paint factor about, will get back to this thread when I've more information, meantime many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Greg.

G6Tanuki 25th May 2020 6:29 pm

I'd agree with chatting-up your local commercial/automotove paint-factors - they will - for a price - brew you a few rattle-cans of paint to match your originals.

poppydog 25th May 2020 7:44 pm

If your going to look for an auto- factor to see if they can supply you with paint I would also consider seeing what your local agricultural/marine suppliers have in stock. The agricultural paints will have far more "guts" (body)than anything your auto -paint supplier can supply and there is now a surprising array of colours to choose from.

When I moved house about 20 yrs ago I had loads of tins of the blue and grey Hammerite in my workshop, I think there were even some green ones and tins of white Tekaloid that were all from the 60/70s and in very rusty tins. I had a massive bonfire and put the lot on it:o. I regretted doing that years later especially getting rid of the Tekaloid.

poppydog