UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   British Heritage Television (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163625)

irishtv 6th Feb 2020 2:54 pm

British Heritage Television

Can anyone here in the know post an update on when British Heritage Television may be starting regular tests? I was able to receive good pictures with a simple rabbits ears during the RSL tests a few years back.

I'm in Mill Hill in NW London so hope to be able to get good reception.

Dave Moll 6th Feb 2020 3:11 pm

Re: British Heritage Television

The latest news about BHTV is at http://405-line.tv/latest-news/. The latest entry is dated 21-11-2019, and in part states that the sound and vision transmitters are now finished and the transmitting aerial, currently under construction, should soon be ready for setting up electrically.

Panrock 14th Feb 2020 7:41 pm

A big apology is due for my tardy reply to irishtv's post. We well remember - and value - his reception reports of our first low-power tests all those years back.

This has proved a challenging (though always exciting) project, and inevitably has been something of a learning experience. The actual build of the equipment has been taking place at what was once the Radiocraft workshop at Sedgeberrow. For advisory back-up, we have been very fortunate to have help from someone with in-depth experience from working at one of the original high power BBC stations. This has proved crucial.

Only a few of us have been involved with this project - fitting it in when we can - and with the inevitable twists and turns along the way, it has taken years. Progress has been steady but there are still a few hurdles to overcome. The present position is as follows: Two new transmitters of substantial power - for vision and sound - have been developed from scratch and are now complete, along with their back-up safety systems. The transmitting aerial is in the midst of construction. To provide an excellent match over the proportionately broad bandwidth required for a good quality television-and-sound signal on Band I isn't straightforward. At the moment, our aerial isn't behaving quite as we want, so it is being re-built to incorporate some changes.

The last major challenge remaining concerns how best the construct the Vision-Sound Combiner. A Maxwell Ring arrangement is planned.

We are having to remain cagey about some details of the project, not because we enjoy keeping secrets - we are thrilled about what could be in store - but because for now the licensing discussions have to remain confidential. So information on the channel we shall be using, the power of our transmission, the programme material, and the location of our transmitting station cannot as yet be publicised. However we can say it will be in "the London Area".

Promising when we will be ready to go on the air will always be a vexed subject, because things never work out as one expects in the real world and certain factors are out of our hands. However we are hoping it will be 'months' rather than 'years'.

So please stay with us. When the time comes, full details of how to receive our transmissions will be available to reception reporters, upon registration, via our website: www.405-line.tv.

All the best,

Steve

HamishBoxer 15th Feb 2020 11:37 am

Does not sound like I will pick up the transmission in Scunthorpe.

Dave Moll 15th Feb 2020 11:46 am

And I stand no chance in West Cumbria - despite having a four-element Band-I aerial.

alanmoore 15th Feb 2020 1:25 pm

I wonder what the chances of me picking up these broadcasts in Mitcham in Surrey is, as I only have an indoor aerial.

Alan.

Panrock 15th Feb 2020 1:34 pm

Not regular reception I'm afraid chaps, but one of the interesting things about Band I is the possibility of freak reception. Here, near Evesham, during the last months of the Crystal Palace transmission, I once picked this up on my pre-war receiver. I seem to recall there was a continuous path of fog and these must have been anticyclonic conditions.

In a way, feats of long distance reception are more interesting. The other side of the coin with Band I AM of course is 'interference'. Motor car interference should be less than in the old days, but who knows what more modern menaces will prove troublesome? A good aerial away from the source of interference and an effectively screening feeder will be wise.

Steve

PS. alanmoore, our posts crossed. Part of the fun with this is we can't predict anything for certain. So no promises, though nearer the time - when the variables are firmed up - we'll likely run service area projections with software.

Nuvistor 15th Feb 2020 1:57 pm

So E on a Band 1 may get results.

HamishBoxer 15th Feb 2020 2:08 pm

I must get my 4 element Band 1 up when we know it is on.

irishtv 16th Feb 2020 10:35 pm

Steve - really appreciate your update! I'm hopeful that I will be well inside the service area here in NW London and certainly have two sets ready to receive it...

bobsterkent 17th Feb 2020 9:13 am

I took part in the trials and couldn't get anything in Barnehurst at the time so I know where I am in the shadow of the North Downs I don't stand a chance but I like the updates - many thanks

Panrock 17th Feb 2020 12:14 pm

Several things will be different this time bobsterkent, and the power much greater, so don't give up yet. However, because we won't have the benefit of a top-of-Crystal Palace style throw-height, this means the weaker areas will feature proportionately larger within our service area.

The moral: get yourself a proper outdoor or loft aerial if you can. Nearer the time, we expect to issue guidance on how this can be arranged. We won't be doing this though until all the final problems are solved and we know we are ready to go.

Steve

mark pirate 17th Feb 2020 3:25 pm

Quote:

Several things will be different this time bobsterkent, and the power much greater, so don't give up yet. However, because we won't have the benefit of a top-of-Crystal Palace style throw-height, this means the weaker areas will feature proportionately larger within our service area.
I doubt the signal will make down here on the south coast, but it was possible back in the day if you had a decent aerial setup & pre-amp!
:beer:
Mark

Ian - G4JQT 17th Feb 2020 4:20 pm

Great work and many thanks to all those involved. I suspect one of the greatest obstacles was negotiating a Band I channel with the appropriate authorities...!

linescan87 17th Feb 2020 4:22 pm

I intend to go somewhere very high with perhaps a home made qubic quad. Probably not a hope but a bit of fun. I think I'm not far away enough for sporadic E reception but tropospheric may be possible.

Any experienced TV DX people wish to comment?

Graham G3ZVT 17th Feb 2020 7:27 pm

Hi John Joe
When are we going to see some 405 line transmissions from the Republic in that vast swathe of low-VHF that COMREG recently bequeathed you?

Can't you tell I'm jealous?

FERNSEH 17th Feb 2020 9:46 pm

Panrock wrote: "The last major challenge remaining concerns how best the construct the Vision-Sound Combiner. A Maxwell Ring arrangement is planned."

Some info about combiners: https://www.bbceng.info/additions/20...Oct%201985.pdf

Linescan87 wrote: "I intend to go somewhere very high with perhaps a home made qubic quad. Probably not a hope but a bit of fun. I think I'm not far away enough for sporadic E reception but tropospheric may be possible"

The cubical quad aerial: http://www.wa2ooo.com/Quads.html

DFWB.

Panrock 17th Feb 2020 9:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FERNSEH (Post 1218053)

Many thanks Fernseh!:thumbsup: As you might expect, that document is already in our collection.

Steve

hannahs radios 18th Feb 2020 1:12 pm

Here in Weymouth I doubt if il receive anything of your transmissions however when the time comes I intend to go up to a local high spot and listen for the sound and video buzz on my FT817 I have a proper 50 Mc/s areal all ready to go I'm hopefull I might here something as band 1 does seem to find a way through where higher frequencys can't. Finally good luck guys

Hybrid tellies 21st Feb 2020 12:19 pm

This sounds interesting. I have a largish wideband band 1 aerial up in the loft which I used for long distance Sporadic E reception. Its pointing east which is straight towards London. At the moment its mounted for horizontal polarization but could be mounted for vertical if required.

Where I live seems to be very favourable for reception towards London as during most tropo lifts most of the London local FM radio stations pile in at local strength. As I said this could be very interesting.