UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Homebrew Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48853)

Electronpusher0 15th Nov 2019 12:48 pm

Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

I think I have answered my own question, if the heater supply is referenced to 0V then the heater cathode s/c LED will light in the insulation test.

Peter

eddie_ce 20th Nov 2019 4:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have just waded through all posts in this thread as I am about to start on constructing my Sussex tester.

Having read about possible problems with parasitic oscillations I would like to avoid them from the outset and have read about connecting all valveholder pins in a loop. It will be easier for me to do this during construction rather having to change existing wiring at a later stage.

The attached diagram shows my understanding of how to do this, for clarity I have only shown 2 pins wired in green and blue.

Am I correct in my interpretation? Any suggestions or tips on construction gratefully received.

Many thanks

ribbonmicsrus 20th Nov 2019 4:43 pm

When I finish wiring mine when the case arrives, I will be fitting each pin with an FX1115 ferrite bead held in place as close to pin with heat srink sleeving.

Hopefully along with the screened leads to the pin selector switches this should prevent any problems.

Andy

FRANK.C 20th Nov 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Eddie
That is how I wired mine.
Like Andy is going to do I fitted a ferrite bead to every valve holder pin as close to the valve holder as possible.

Frank

Doris The Diode 23rd Dec 2019 1:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning (Post 586645)
Hi Folks, Sussex transformers are still available and are wound to order. PM me if you need one and I'll get it wound on my return.

Ed

Hi, are you still winding transformers for the sussex valve tester?
If so, what is the cost and lead time.

Regards,
Berni

Doris The Diode 23rd Dec 2019 10:51 pm

Thank you Ed for you PM, very much appreciated.

Doris The Diode 23rd Dec 2019 11:00 pm

Panel meters

I’m building the Sussex and have a Chinese Volt meter very similar to the ones used in the build model nr YB5135D which were bought on eBay but the range is 500V.
I can see various solder joints at the back where I guess one can alter the range of the meter and also the AC DC sign.
I’ve looked high and low for instructions for the back solder points but have not been able to find any.

Has anyone got any information as to these solder points and what values they alter?

I am specifically wanting to change my 500V meter to read 0-20V for the grid, I don’t intend to go any lower than this value and I am ok with it, just require some information how to change the range.

To add complication, R4 and R5 seem to have an influence on the value of range as I have the 200mV meter and it has different values there.
Perhaps someone has a 20V version and could pass on the value and solder points?

All the best,
DD

Chris55000 3rd Jan 2020 2:20 pm

Hi!

Just a quickie one!

Can anybody recommend a good robust professional case to build the Sussex in, that's not too arduous to cut and drill, that will take the weight of Ed's transformer, the PCBs supplied by Martin plus all the switches displays, wiring, etc?

I'm looking at ten valveholders, B3G, B5, B7 B7G, B8A, B9A, B9G, B10B, I.O and M.O. at the moment!

Budget for it is £100.

Chris Williams

eddie_ce 3rd Jan 2020 2:32 pm

Hi, Happy new year to all readers.

I hope I am not violating forum rules, but the case I bought a couple of weeks ago was Ebay listing number 223746788221. Although the seller is in Germany I gather he would ship to the UK.

I am in the process of sorting the arrangement of all panel mounted parts, the case is large enough for my needs. It is quite sturdy being made of 1.5mm steel plate. I am thinking of getting the cutouts lasered by a local company to save all the chassis bashing.

I hope this helps.

Chris55000 3rd Jan 2020 9:04 pm

Hi!

eBay's not letting me Search by Item Number – it keeps insisting it doesn't match!

Can you pm me the Seller's name or a description to help me find the item please?

Chris Williams

eddie_ce 3rd Jan 2020 9:20 pm

Hi,
the seller is housings24

The item is Console Housing Large Dashboard Empty Enclosure

I have just logged into the UK Ebay site and searched for the seller and found the above housing.

Hope this helps.

mole42uk 3rd Jan 2020 9:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris55000 (Post 1204517)
Hi!

eBay's not letting me Search by Item Number – it keeps insisting it doesn't match!

Can you pm me the Seller's name or a description to help me find the item please?

Chris Williams

That search works for me, I just copied & pasted.....

AC/HL 3rd Jan 2020 9:30 pm

You have to use https://www.ebay.de/
https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_osac...88221&_sacat=0

Chris55000 3rd Jan 2020 9:52 pm

Hi!

Altho' I'm still trying to work out what size and shape of case to build my new Sussex V.T. in, one thing I can definitely suggest to others is wiring!

For wiring the valve holder tags together in parallel, I recommend two lengths together of 1/0.6 mm single–core connecting wire, i.e., two pieces of wire connecting tag 1 to tag 1 etc.

You can buy 11 colour packs of 1/0.6 and one 5m pack of 11 colours will cover all the inter–valve holder wiring, and I suggest identification as per the standard colour code, pins 1 brown, pins 2 red, pins 3 orange, and so on!

For wiring between the switches, valve holders, PCBs, displays, etc., I recommend 5m of 18 core Dec Stan 61 – 12 cable, size designation "16–2–18C" – this is 0.5mm² cable rated 3A core at 1000VDC/600V RMS a.c., 18 cores – this will give you ten standard Electronics colours, plus pink & turquoise (aqua) and six tracer colours – this can be bought in 5m lengths!

Unfortunately I've found Ed Dinning isn't consistent with wire sizes, types and colours with his transformers, and I strongly advise the leads from each secondary of the Sussex's Mains Transformer are separately enclosed in p.v.c. sleeving – I've bought three transformers from him and some of them have very thin connecting wire!

Chris Williams

PS!

I will produce suggested circuit and wiring diagrams for Martin's PCBs during the next month when I can afford a length of 16–2–18C cable!

For connecting the Meter Displays I recommend a kit of XH connectors and contacts is bought in order to use better quality connecting wire than the odd yakky bits the Chinese supply with the meters!

Chris Williams

Chris55000 3rd Jan 2020 10:25 pm

Hi!

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, but that seller of the Blue Console case says he won't post to the UK!

Can anyone find me anything similar that I can order please – I've spent two hours constantly getting "no results found" and I'm getting fed up of it!

Chris Williams

Top Cap 3rd Jan 2020 11:56 pm

I used the Deltron 519-0920, RS Components 232-774.
Ideally it needs to be slightly larger as it is a bit of a 'shoe horning' to get everything in but do-able. Built with the original circuit boards so not sure of the room available with the new latest boards, also I note you need more space for the extra valve holders you want to fit. :'(

Dekatron 4th Jan 2020 12:45 am

Hammond Mfg has a range of boxes in different heights/widths which I think is identical to the Deltron ones here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg16Steel.htm

/Martin

Ed_Dinning 4th Jan 2020 10:20 am

Hi Gents, note that connecting wire on the transformers is related to that particular winding's current capacity.
It would not be good to use 1mm^2 wire on a bias winding carrying 5mA

Ed

rv2p800 5th Jan 2020 9:28 pm

Hi !

For a very long time i have been thinking of building my own version of the Sussex, using parts that i have at hand - for years. The worst part is in this project as always - the main transformer. On all other than the heater voltages i have transformers for the job. But, maybe a stupid question, why not use DC for supplying the heater voltage? Supplying DC would be a very easy way out, at least in the range 2-24V at a couple of amps at the most. I think i have browsed all messages over a couple of years in this thread and found nothing - i still may have missed them...
Erik/Norway

Electronpusher0 5th Jan 2020 9:35 pm

Quote:

why not use DC for supplying the heater voltage? Supplying DC would be a very easy way out, at least in the range 2-24V at a couple of amps at the most. I think i have browsed all messages over a couple of years in this thread and found nothing - i still may have missed them...
I am also building my own version of the Sussex using several transformers to get the supplies I need.
For the heaters I am indeed using DC. I am using a chinese buck converter to allow me to set the heater voltage at whatever voltage I want using a 10 turn pot and a digital panel meter.

Peter