UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Two inch tape hub motors identify (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165053)

Gordondav54 23rd Mar 2020 8:51 pm

Two inch tape hub motors identify

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all
I have two hub motors that are either from a two inch video recorder or a multi track audio recorder. They are labelled General Electric and Made in USA and have two different Model numbers thus:- 5KCP14FG 16T and 5KCP17FG25T. The text is very unclear so there may be an error in those numbers.
Does anyone recognise these motors?

red16v 24th Mar 2020 10:06 am

Re: Two inch tape hub motors identify

I cannot really help but offer the following. I have seen (and used!) very similar spool/reel retaining mechanisms on RCA 2” videotape recorders. The mode of operation was that a reel of tape would be loosely offered up to a platter, which would sit between the top of the motor and lower part of the top of the mechanism in photo 1 and then the spool would be pressed firmly down onto the platter. As the spool is pressed down the splines (also shown in photo 1) would spring out and grip the inside of the centre of the spool. The inside of the centre of the spool has a least one vertical groove in it which should engage with the splines - if it didn’t you gripped the spool firmly and twisted it until they engaged. As you initially pressed the spool down (and the splines came out to engage with the inner grooves on the spool) so the top part of the hub sprang out - that is the black part on the top of the mechanism with the three cross head screws in it - it should be quite proud of the spool when a spool is placed on it and pressed down. To release the spool you pressed down firmly on the top of the ‘black part’ with the palm of your hand which caused the splines to loosen and retract and the spool would then be ‘ungripped’, released and ‘jump up’ by a quarter inch or so so that it could be easily lifted off the machine. A variation of this method was to have retractable ball bearings in place of where you have vertical splines. A neat way of doing this which Ampex did not follow - patents maybe?

Might I suggest you peruse this group, perhaps join and ask you question as there is lot of knowledge there from around the world.
http://www.quadvideotapegroup.com/

PS. I have not seen a red Memorex spool in the flesh in all the many years I spent in Videotape. I think it is an early product, later Memorex spools have a foam face under one of the flanges to ease tape handling. If you ever decide to sell it I would’ve very interested!

PPS. If these are what I think they are and do not feature the ‘spring splines’ you could try simply twisting the top of the hub mechanism (the part with the 3 cross head screws) and see if that manually causes the splines to move in/out. The motors do look unsophisticated so they could be an early model?

May I ask where you obtained these bits and pieces from?

Gordondav54 24th Mar 2020 11:17 am

Thanks for your response Red15v.
The mechanism that retains the reel is nowhere near as complicated as your description/s. The top black part is solid rubber and has very little function other than guide the fitting of a reel and retaining the simple springy part that drives in the reel slot. No locking mechanism or anything like that.
The motors seem good and measure about 40 Ohms on two separate coils.
Thanks for the potential info source.
I am afraid the rather nice red Memorex reel is not mine to sell, which reminds me again that I must give it back! I used it to wind through a quad tape mentioned in a previous post last year.
The motors are part of my father's collection old electronics. I do not know where he got them from. He was never much interested in video but people gave him stuff.

red16v 25th Mar 2020 10:35 pm

I am asking on a forum frequented by some knowledgable tv staff and it has generated some interest. Can you confirm that the top disc that you said is made of rubber (has the 3 cross head screws in it) does not twist and cause the splines to engage or disengage with the inner part of the tape spool?

Update. Just read your last post again. Are you saying the splines are sprung loaded and simply fit into the matching grooves in the tape spool if they are lined up? If that is the case how does the tape spool come off - do you just lift it off? Is it not held firmly in position (gripped) and require some limited force to lift it off?

red16v 25th Mar 2020 11:44 pm

Further update. They are from an IVC VR660 2” helical scan recorder.

https://www.labguysworld.com/VR-660_031.jpg

I recall some time ago you posted that you had a reel of 2” videotape but were unable to replay it to find out what was on it. I recall you tried playing it on Paul Marshall’s quad machine with no luck.

Would it be too much to think your ‘unplayable’ tape is this 2” helical format? Is there a machine in the UK you could try your mystery tape on? Have we further opened a can of interesting worms!!

Gordondav54 26th Mar 2020 6:29 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Hello red16v
Thanks for your research. I confirm the spring strip is the only thing that holds the reel. One end of the strip bears on the plain cylindrical surface inside the reel thus pushing the other end tightly into one of the slots of the reel. It holds perfectly tightly. The top part is hard rubber with UNC cap head screws.
I looked at labguys photo and agree the hubs certainly look the same as on the IVC VR660 2” helical scan recorder. It also tends to explain why one motor is longer than the other.
As you say this might explain the lack of content found on the tape we thought was Quadruplex. Is there is anyone out there who might need these? Maybe they can play my tape as an exchange! As you said, another interesting can of worms.