UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Gamages Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141167)

PaulW7668 7th Nov 2017 7:08 pm

Gamages Radio

I have in my possession a valve radio with the Gamages logo on the scale plate. There is no other markings on the case or chassis to identify this radio. The valve lineup is 7S7 Frequency Changer, 7B7 IF Pentode, EBC33 Audio Triode, 7C5 Audio Output and 7Y4 Rectifier. The set is a 3 band LW, MW and Shortwave.

By the valve lineup I would suggest a date around 1950. Can anybody help with further information, since searching the Internet only gives details of radio equipment prior to WW2.

paulsherwin 7th Nov 2017 8:22 pm

Re: Gamages Radio

Gamages was a large department store in London. An uncle of mine used to send me Gamages branded recording tape as birthday presents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamages

G6Tanuki 7th Nov 2017 8:23 pm

There were loads of 'no-name' radios built by small outfits to serve the needs of the chain-stores of the time.

Trying to positively identify the maker and get a circuit/schematic can be a hell of a task: often the same outer-case [produced by a 'jobbing' cabinet-maker business] could house one of a number of different radio-chassis, sourced from similar 'jobbing' radio-businesses.

If you're lucky you may find that the radio was made by one of the bigger producers, such as Plessey.

Can you post some photos in the hope someone may recognise what you've got?

Station X 8th Nov 2017 10:38 am

Thread moved to correct section. Some posts deleted as no longer needed.

PaulW7668 10th Nov 2017 8:03 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulW7668 (Post 989485)
I have in my possession a valve radio with the Gamages logo on the scale plate. There is no other markings on the case or chassis to identify this radio. The valve lineup is 7S7 Frequency Changer, 7B7 IF Pentode, EBC33 Audio Triode, 7C5 Audio Output and 7Y4 Rectifier. The set is a 3 band LW, MW and Shortwave.

By the valve lineup I would suggest a date around 1950. Can anybody help with further information, since searching the Internet only gives details of radio equipment prior to WW2.

Attached are views of this radio, perhaps somebody will recognise this radio.

paulsherwin 10th Nov 2017 10:47 pm

Many radios of this type were made by small manufacturers in the late 40s, often set up by engineers who'd learned their trade in radio and radar during the war. They often used whatever components were available cheaply on the surplus market, and the odd mixture of octal and B8B Loctal valves is typical. My guess would be that Gamages signed an agreement with some man-in-a-shed operation in Croydon or wherever to make these radios for them. The cabinets may have come from an additional furniture manufacturer.

The circuit is likely to be a standard 4 valve L/M/S superhet plus a rectifier.

peter_sol 10th Nov 2017 11:40 pm

It looks like a standard chassis made by Plessey as used by Regentone

camtechman 10th Nov 2017 11:48 pm

To me, the tuning scale seems to be "Bush" in style.

AC/HL 11th Nov 2017 12:30 am

It looks like it was made by Strad, the nearest chassis on RM is the 553W.

Neil Purling 11th Nov 2017 8:15 am

Is the power transformer possibly a replacement item? Made by Elstone.

ms660 11th Nov 2017 9:13 am

The knobs look the same as those used on the Strad 511 (RM Electric)

Lawrence.

Boater Sam 11th Nov 2017 9:56 am

Black Magic coffee cream knobs. Strad for sure unless they were a generic knob.
The chassis shape with the corners of the back plane cut back is very familiar too.
I was trying to recognise the IF transformers, but failed.

ms660 11th Nov 2017 10:25 am

Here's an ad for RM Electric's IF transformers....they look familiar:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...df#search=%22r m electric%22

Lawrence.

paulsherwin 11th Nov 2017 12:20 pm

Why the EBC33 though? (Unless it's a later replacement with a socket change).

ms660 11th Nov 2017 12:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsherwin (Post 990429)
Why the EBC33 though? (Unless it's a later replacement with a socket change).

Looking at the chassis photo it looks like EBC33 either printed or written on the chassis, nothing conclusive from that photo though to suggest that the EBC33 was originally fitted.

Lawrence.

Edward Huggins 11th Nov 2017 12:49 pm

I would not think this uses a Plessey chassis as it has an R&A speaker.

ms660 11th Nov 2017 1:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 990431)
Looking at the chassis photo it looks like EBC33 either printed or written on the chassis, nothing conclusive from that photo though to suggest that the EBC33 was originally fitted.

On second thoughts the valve holder rivets look undisturbed?

Lawrence.

Andrewausfa 11th Nov 2017 1:52 pm

RM Electric made sets for other brands like 'Rolland' so could have made this. The cut corners of the chassis is also seen on RM sets.

Has your speaker baffle board got a bad case of woodworm?

Andrew

HamishBoxer 11th Nov 2017 2:14 pm

Marconi I think??

michamoo 11th Nov 2017 5:04 pm

The use of a R&A speaker makes me think of Pye maybe?