UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dial Glass Reconstruction (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42848)

awc 9th Jul 2009 7:13 pm

Dial Glass Reconstruction

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the before and after scans of the GEC SW4 dial glass I decided to try and recontruct in Adobe Photoshop. There was just enough detail on the old glass to enable the recontruction but all the text had to be renewed from scratch as did the graduations. Started in March and just finished after many, many hours clicking away. Perhaps I should have asked if anyone had a scan first...... The final product was reverse printed onto waterslide transfer (first time I've used it - great fun!) and two prints laid one over the other and acyrilic varnished, two coats. I used a new piece of glass so I could put the remains of the original in the cabinet. The varnish on the set was in a terrible state so I stripped it and repolished with brushing wax. This gives a not-too-glossy finish and is dead easy to use. Pic of glass in set and powered up attached.

Colin 9th Jul 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Dial Glass Reconstruction

What an astounding piece of reconstruction! Truly amazing given the starting point. The finished set looks very nice too, and the new dial sets it off beautifully. I've had a go at this sort of thing myself and it is really time consuming and painstaking work. Very well done I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Sideband 9th Jul 2009 7:25 pm

What a brilliant job!:thumbsup: Well done that man!

Rich.

Boom 9th Jul 2009 8:23 pm

Wow!

:clap::clap:

mark pirate 9th Jul 2009 8:58 pm

Fantastic reconstruction, very well done that man! :thumbsup:
:beer:
Mark

Hermit6345 9th Jul 2009 9:25 pm

Wonderful work! I wouldn't have thought it possible judging by what you started with.

Ian.

awc 9th Jul 2009 9:55 pm

Many thanks all, for your comments. There were times when I wondered if all the time and effort was worth it but once I'd started.... I discovered early on to save each sessions work to a disc as well as the hard drive and create a copy to work on the next time just in case disaster struck. As a matter of interest, does anyone know the relevance of the letters "A" and "B" above the short wave markings?

The set works quite well, but the valves are a little tired, particularly the frequency changer and with the exception of the D41 seem difficult to get hold of. Short wave is the perkiest with medium wave only just about adequate and long wave very feeble. This is the first set I've restored with a Barretter on board, not much glow but lots of heat!

Station X 9th Jul 2009 10:04 pm

Quote:

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the relevance of the letters "A" and "B" above the short wave markings?
Amateur and Broadcast.

chipp1968 9th Jul 2009 11:33 pm

Dial and set look good , very impressed

stuie319 10th Jul 2009 8:25 am

Hello,

I *never* cease to be astonished with the things people achieve here :o
Thats fabulous, well done :thumbsup:

Regards
Stu

Boom 10th Jul 2009 9:49 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by awc (Post 257242)
the valves are a little tired, particularly the frequency changer and with the exception of the D41 seem difficult to get hold of.

I don't know this set. What are the numbers and I'll go through my spare valves.

kalee20 10th Jul 2009 1:28 pm

Good work, AWC.You've obviously spent some time on this. I'm really impressed!

Radio_Dave 10th Jul 2009 2:11 pm

Looks damn good to me, well done!

David

awc 10th Jul 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks David for your offer to look out for some valves for me and to everyone for their kind comments and encouragement. The valves are Osram X31 W31 N31 and U30. The Barretter and the D41 are ok.

Thanks again.

benjamin77 12th Jul 2009 4:35 pm

Blimey the patientance of saint...! Truly amazing ;D now I know who to come to if I should need this doing :thumbsup:

60 oldjohn 12th Jul 2009 10:31 pm

Well done. If possible work of this standard should be archived for others to use. I think there was a thread somewhere on the forum. John.

awc 13th Jul 2009 9:39 am

Thanks again for your kind comments. I was thinking about uploading the finished copy to an archive until a decent scan of an original dial glass is available. Perhaps someone can give me instructions on the where and how.

Aerodyne 13th Jul 2009 11:30 am

Many hours of patient work expended here. I know - been there, done that. A labour of love, truly. Well worth the effort, though. Excellent outcome.
-Tony

Brian R Pateman 13th Jul 2009 4:57 pm

As a first step towards archiving I have applied some ahhesive to make this thread "Sticky."

Regards,

howard 13th Jul 2009 8:00 pm

Excellent work :clap:

Howard :)