UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   BVWS Winter 2018 Bulletin (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=152046)

Paul Stenning 5th Dec 2018 12:24 pm

BVWS Winter 2018 Bulletin

1 Attachment(s)
The Winter 2018 Bulletin and 2019 calender are now arriving - mine arrived this morning.

Please check the pink form to find out whether you need to renew your membership. If so you can do so online at https://membership.bvws.org.uk/ with PayPal, credit card or debit card, or by post if you wish to pay by cheque.

If you are renewing online (or don't need to renew this year) you can vote for the best 2018 article Pat Leggatt Award at https://vote.bvws.org.uk/, however if you are renewing by post please send the voting form with your renewal form.

ukcol 5th Dec 2018 1:31 pm

Re: BVWS Winter 2018 Bulletin

Mine arrived this morning and there is lots to read. Ii will keep me occupied for a while. :thumbsup:

I have used the online system for renewing my BVWS membership and making a donation to the museum. The system works very well and is much more convenient to use than previous methods available. Thanks Paul.

Paul Stenning 5th Dec 2018 1:39 pm

Thank you Colin.

It is also easier for the membership secretary to process online renewals because changes can just be copied and pasted into the membership system rather than having to be typed in from variable handwriting, plus there is no need to record and bank cheques.

However we will be keeping both options available for the foreseeable future.

David G4EBT 5th Dec 2018 2:16 pm

Bulletin has just arrived - another excellent edition, along with the Calendar.

A doddle to pay with PayPal in a couple of minutes - all nicely set up!

HamishBoxer 5th Dec 2018 3:54 pm

Yes mine arrived today too, thank you as always to all concerned. Nothing to pay as I went for the three year option last time.

Dave Moll 5th Dec 2018 4:09 pm

I look forward to mine reaching the wilds of Cumbria ere long. In a way, it's just as well it didn't arrive today, as it may have been as soggy as the rest of my mail - and no doubt the postie too!

stitch1 5th Dec 2018 9:31 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I returned home today to find mine waiting but without its envelope (or at least half of it) but it’s seems to have survived.

John

Hartley118 5th Dec 2018 10:26 pm

As always, a beautifully produced Bulletin with an amazingly wide range of interesting articles. The sheer number of well-reproduced colour photos is particularly impressive.

Congratulations to the editorial and production team, and to all the authors.

Martin

ukcol 5th Dec 2018 11:23 pm

I have only one criticism of the Bulletin and feel guilty expressing it and that is that I wish that all the highy professional photographs of various sets were accompanied by text identifying the models.

Steve_Bell 5th Dec 2018 11:54 pm

Got mine today; water-damaged at the top corner and a (very) torn envelope. I don't think paper envelopes are up to it for heavier items. I get the Radio Times, delivered in a plastic envelope, and it always arrives in perfect condition. Is this an expensive packaging option, bearing in mind it is now £8 an issue for the Bulletin?

Thyristor 6th Dec 2018 12:03 am

Mine came too; sopping-wet torn envelope, covered in mud, and screwed-up in a ball - again.
Thankyou postie.

audiomagpie 6th Dec 2018 12:55 am

I'm taking much notice of the comments regarding the packaging, mine too arrived with a damaged envelope and the postmark ink was all smudged from the rain, although the contents were fine. A couple of other letters that we received had also suffered somewhat.

The Winter Bulletin is the only one to be posted in an envelope. The difference with this issue is that we print the members individual renewal forms and send them to the printers where they have to be manually inserted. Other issues are printed from a mailing list, sealed in a plastic bag - it's all automated.

We will discuss alternatives with the printers for next year, although these packages would have been despatched in excellent condition, it's a shame that our postal service can't deliver us dry mail....

Thank you for the kind comments about the issue itself, I'll pass them on to the editor!

Duke_Nukem 6th Dec 2018 8:33 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcol (Post 1098510)
I have only one criticism of the Bulletin and feel guilty expressing it and that is that I wish that all the highy professional photographs of various sets were accompanied by text identifying the models.

No need for any guilt, constructive criticism always welcome. We'll see what we can do, though in the case of items on stalls at events it might not be practical,

TTFN,
Jon

Phil G4SPZ 6th Dec 2018 8:54 am

My bulletin arrived in perfect condition yesterday, many thanks to all involved - including the Post Office, who are thankfully very reliable in this area. Plenty of good reading ahead.

Dickie 6th Dec 2018 9:09 am

Yes many thanks to all. Plenty to read. My bulletin arrived nice and dry but with a nasty bend in it. I think large format mail like this is put with a pile of smaller items and a rubber band is stretched round the whole package to keep each road's worth together. Hence it becomes an outer wrapper for the rest of the mail. It happens every time.
I hope this is taken as constructive, but could the layout of the calendar be changed with less blank space and more space for each day? The calendar in our house is the main arbiter of who does what when (no electronic diaries here!) and there is very little space to write stuff on each day.

Dave Moll 6th Dec 2018 9:27 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagpie (Post 1098537)
The Winter Bulletin is the only one to be posted in an envelope.

Ironically, this is probably the one most likely to be delivered in poor weather conditions!

Generally, however, I support the use of paper wrapping rather than single-use plastic, so is the issue the grade of paper used?

FIXITNOW 6th Dec 2018 1:14 pm

Mine turned u safe and sound. Another great read
Thanks to all involved

Vintage_RC 6th Dec 2018 1:36 pm

Looks like another great read and a nice calendar as well. I renewed my BVWS subscription online and paid by Paypal, very easy and convenient. I also made my Pat Leggatt vote online.

Freya 6th Dec 2018 2:54 pm

Mine was only just in the envelope, that being very wet and torn. The Quality of the magazine is outstanding as usual.

AC/HL 6th Dec 2018 6:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage_RC (Post 1098636)
Looks like another great read and a nice calendar as well. I renewed my BVWS subscription online and paid by Paypal, very easy and convenient. I also made my Pat Leggatt vote online.

Just about to do the same!