UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Croc Clips at Lidl (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157130)

g4aaw pete 8th Jun 2019 12:21 pm

Croc Clips at Lidl

2 Attachment(s)
These seem good value.
80 for £3.49
I've no business connection with Lidl.

turretslug 8th Jun 2019 3:23 pm

Re: Crock Clips at Lidl

I saw these and thought, that's good value- but 80 of them is almost a plague! I would certainly have gone for, say, 20 in a placcy bag for £1.

Boulevardier 8th Jun 2019 3:59 pm

Are they all identical (except colour). Are they screw or solder connections? Or 4mm sockets?
Mike

G8HQP Dave 8th Jun 2019 4:05 pm

Screw and 4mm sockets, I think. I decided that I didn't need that many, and they only had them in red and black.

linescan87 8th Jun 2019 4:22 pm

I got a box of these over here, €4. Seem good quality and take 4mm banana plugs.

John Joe.

Guest 8th Jun 2019 4:28 pm

I remember a Practical Wireless cartoon of an alligator saying he used "Man Clips".

g4aaw pete 8th Jun 2019 4:31 pm

1 Attachment(s)
You're right Dave, it is a bit 'over-kill', but at least I won't run out of them.
They can be attached via screw, solder or 4 mm banana plug.

usradcoll1 8th Jun 2019 4:46 pm

They look like better quality than the ones available in the US.
The Chinese made ones are so flimsy, that we get here. :shrug:

Electronpusher0 8th Jun 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought 2 packs (one me and one for Bobger)

Peter

G6Tanuki 8th Jun 2019 8:14 pm

I feel a Lidl-visit coming on.

Boulevardier 8th Jun 2019 10:12 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Just been down and bought some:

Nearest equivalents in CPC catalogue seem to be £6 for 10 incl. VAT. So, I now have 80!

Mike

linescan87 9th Jun 2019 1:35 am

Yea, they're great value. You can never have enough croc clips!

Sean Williams 9th Jun 2019 11:59 am

Re: Croc Clips at Lidl

Yup, had to go grab some too

ajgriff 9th Jun 2019 1:08 pm

Happened to be passing a Lidl store earlier and couldn't resist. Ironically one of my sons works for Lidl in London and is supposed to keep me informed of offers like this. I know his excuse will be that he's out of the country on holiday at present so many thanks to Pete for his original post.

Alan

dave walsh 9th Jun 2019 2:33 pm

Didn't see any in the Bexhill branch on Friday but at less than 4p each, there is "lidl" doubt they are a bargain:D so I'm sending out a "runner"..

Dave W

TonyDuell 9th Jun 2019 2:44 pm

I bought a couple of boxes this morning (Eltham Lidl). There seemed to be no shortage of them there and nobody else was bothering. They're probably not the best croc-clips ever but they are no worse than the ones the likes of RS sell for rather more

They also had a couple of other boxes of 'electrical' parts, same price (£3.49).

One contains 150 small cable ties (small meaning useful to me!), 7 P-clips, some short lengths of red and black heatshrink and some crimp terminals. I think 'blue size' butt splices, ring terminals and 1/4" blades and receptacles and 'yellow size' butt splices

The other contains what I grew up calling 'scotchlocks' in various sizes, including one type that crimps onto a wire and provides a 1/4" 'faston' ('lucar', whatever) receptacle. I'd not seen that before. I don't want to start a flamefest over the merits or otherwise of such connectors, I am simply pointing out they are available and might be useful for some vintage repairs.

ajgriff 9th Jun 2019 2:49 pm

4.3625p each actually. Sorry Dave - pedantic to the last. :)

Alan

dave walsh 9th Jun 2019 3:08 pm

No problem Alan. I suspect there are more pedantics to the square inch than anywhere else here, including me but my maths is so poor I'm surprised I was anywhere near at 4p! When I did the RAE my friend and tutor pointed out that I got things wrong in my head but not when I used the calculator. He said I understood it but couldn't get the right answer. A Multiple Choice exam.... We both got a distinction. That was really funny and surprising, in my case;).

Dave

Reelman 9th Jun 2019 3:57 pm

Popped into the Alfreton branch on the return from the J28 rally and they had not had any at all. Will try our local branch, can’t think that they are likely to sell out quickly.

Peter

dave walsh 9th Jun 2019 4:46 pm

My wife [runner] had to ask a helpful chap in Lidl if alligator clips were the same as croc ones. She got those and the cable tie set which apparently, doesn't always include the shrink rap. He advised her to buy the hook and loop strips [velcro] box as well so it was a total spend of £10-47p for three! Job done!

Dave