UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Amazon - recommended for you vanishes (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146897)

Grubhead 26th May 2018 4:44 pm

Amazon - recommended for you vanishes

If you have visited your page on Amazon recently you will have noticed that all the "recommended for you" section has vanished. Probably as a result of the new EU law.

You can no longer select the "not interested" options for things. Or "I own".

Instead all you will see on the "recommended" section is loads of images, which if you click will take you through items that in some cases you own, or are not interested. Which you can't remove from the list. Lists seem also limited to max of 100 items. Whereas before you could have a lot more than that.

I suspect many of you had lots of items on the electrical options for parts, which you would trawl through from time to time. But now you can't.

Of course Amazon have not mentioned to customers the feature has gone. Or explained why?

yesnaby 26th May 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Amazon - recommended for you vanishes

• Hi, Mr.
CUSTOMER SINCE 1998

New greeting from Amazon. Have they forgotten my name?

Station X 26th May 2018 4:56 pm

I've got the "Hi Mr." too.

Still have recommendations though.

MrBungle 26th May 2018 5:11 pm

Amazon’s attempt at GDPR or a software problem. If you’ve ever used their compute infrastructure you’ll know it was a combination of ignoring the first and cocking up the second :)

AC/HL 26th May 2018 7:58 pm

If you decline the W10 option to personalise advertisements, it states that you'll still get them, but they won't be relevant to you. Presumably this is the same sort of thing. I don't use Amazon, but I'd guess that once you "sign up" it'll rebuild your preferences.

MrBungle 26th May 2018 10:03 pm

I think this is a bug because it wasn't working earlier for me but is now. Same browser, same session. Haven't logged in or out of amazon.

Nuvistor 27th May 2018 9:06 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 1046795)
If you decline the W10 option to personalise advertisements, it states that you'll still get them, but they won't be relevant to you.

Is the W10 you mention Microsoft Windows 10 and if so are they sending adverts?

Grubhead 28th May 2018 12:04 am

I e-mailed Amazon on the actual subject and this is what they replied:

"Please do not worry about this issue as I understand your concern and will surely help you in every possible ways.
Firstly, I have taken your feedback with utmost seriousness regarding the changes made on our website. Rest assured corrective action will be taken to improve the level of service as per your feedback.
To assist you better in this situation, I have gone ahead on our website and searched some of the items. At the same time I would like to inform you that this option is temporarily disabled as we are trying our best to provide the better shopping experience to our customers like you.
"

MrBungle 28th May 2018 12:07 am

That’s a cut and paste with one paragraph changed. I’ve seen that email before from amazon!

Station X 28th May 2018 8:31 am

Do female customers get a different greeting?