UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Reassembler (TV programme) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132508)

ben 27th Dec 2016 2:12 am

The Reassembler (TV programme)

Not strictly repair-related, so apologies if a little off-topic. That said, it's certainly vintage audio though, and bound to interest many here.

Just caught an ad for a show on wednesday 18 Jan on BBC4 called the Reassembler with James May. There was a brief clip of what looked like a Dansette Bermuda /UA15. Might be worth a look. At any rate got to be better than those awful destruction videos people put on you tube.

EDIT: Just found this link with more info.

qualityten 27th Dec 2016 1:24 pm

Re: Reassembling Dansette (TV prog)

Thanks for the advance notice. Should be entertaining at least. I watched his reassembly of a guitar amp a while back. (I doubt if he'd ever used one before the show.)

mycjets 27th Dec 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks Ben. Will definitely give that a watch.

leslie5555 27th Dec 2016 3:08 pm

It's one of a series which starts tomorrow on BBC 4 starting with fixing a triang train. I love watching James May repairing things

Michael Maurice 28th Dec 2016 8:13 pm

I was approached by the BBC about this program and I would have been very glad to help. I did suggest re-assembling a Dansette but they thought it might be too complicated.

I'd love to know who has helped him, dismantling a re-assembling a UA15 is not for the faint hearted though I'd rather one of those than an early Garrard or Collaro

Top Cap 11th Jan 2017 6:24 pm

James May reassembles a Dansette Bermuda

BBC Four on 18th January at 2100. James May reassembles the 195 parts of a 1963 Dansette Bermuda record player. Just hope he consulted some of the experts on here before starting :D.
I wonder how many mistakes he makes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088syhb

Stylo N M 11th Jan 2017 6:32 pm

Re: James May reassembles a Dansette Bermuda

I've seen the trailer, he didn't look very confident :o

Paul.

paulsherwin 11th Jan 2017 6:36 pm

I think there is a fair bit of kiddums in this series, with May receiving lots of hands-on assistance off camera. There's nothing wrong with that - it's just entertainment with a bit of education thrown in.

RojDW48 11th Jan 2017 6:51 pm

We watched the Kenwood mixer episode. To be fair, May did say it would be boring! Nevertheless, I am looking forward to watching him grapple with the Dansette.

MurphyNut 11th Jan 2017 7:19 pm

I really enjoy this show, I love James May's genteel wit and he clearly loves whats hes doing and working on.
The Bakelite phone and Trainset have been my favorites so far, it's very entertaining and refreshingly diferent from the usual short concentration span programs we often now see.

Dai Corner 11th Jan 2017 7:29 pm

I've enjoyed the ones I've seen so far and am looking forward to the Dansette. Tonight is a mini motor cycle. I may be doing Mr May an injustice, but I get the feeling he may be making these to fulfil a contractural agreement with the BBC. He can't need the money if rumours about what Amazon are paying him are remotely true.

I expect members here are aware of the YouTube teardown videos by the likes of eevblog, mikeseletricalstuff and Big Clive.

Edward Huggins 11th Jan 2017 8:24 pm

I wonder if it is just a reassemby or a repair and then a reassembly?

kirstyd 12th Jan 2017 11:21 am

i am wondering if the 195 parts include the BSR turntable .the programme will be worth watching just to see him put that back together after all the amp should take at least 5 minutes

ben 12th Jan 2017 2:19 pm

Seems like there's an echo in here! ;)

Top Cap 12th Jan 2017 2:50 pm

wow Ben how did you beat me to it. I spent the last few weeks trying to find the exact date of the Dansette broadcast but the BBC websites gave no hint. When I found the date I just had to post it as reminder for the Forum. Never in my wildest dreams expected it to be already on the Forum, so a slapped wrist for me and a reminder to use the SEARCH more often :D

AC/HL 12th Jan 2017 3:53 pm

Threads merged.

threeseven 12th Jan 2017 4:23 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dai Corner (Post 909026)
I've enjoyed the ones I've seen so far and am looking forward to the Dansette. Tonight is a mini motor cycle. I may be doing Mr May an injustice, but I get the feeling he may be making these to fulfil a contractural agreement with the BBC. He can't need the money if rumours about what Amazon are paying him are remotely true.

The series is produced and directed by James himself. He is a big tinkerer, geek and has restored a number of motorcycles. His admiration of Honda is very noticable. It amuses me that he doesn't like soldering!

leslie5555 12th Jan 2017 11:22 pm

He also hates springs

dave walsh 17th Jan 2017 4:17 pm

Dansette Bermuda

The Re-Assembler investigates one of these on BBC4 tomorrow night at 9pm.
Dave W

sun209union 17th Jan 2017 6:19 pm

Re: Dansette Bermuda

cool, will take a look �