UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Television in the Home (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176995)

Panrock 28th Feb 2021 1:50 pm

Re: Television in the Home

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1347341)
Bush P63 in the third image?? But what about the first two?

Peter

What about this 1939 Philips - for the first image?

Steve

peter_scott 28th Feb 2021 2:31 pm

The Philips doesn't have the full width speaker grill. Perhaps Baird T26 ??

P.

Boulevardier 28th Feb 2021 3:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1347337)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1347319)
Indeed! Clearly held back by the presence of his daughter.

She's using her youthfully acute vision to spot the first sign of interference. Her brother will be out of shot ready to whip the curtains open ready for dad with his brick. Obviously a common family scene of the period.

David

And the wife needs to have a care too. Any wittering-on from her about knitting patterns or spot-flyback-suppression, and she’ll be the next point-of-arrival for that brick. Incredible the things people will do for the sake of watching a TV programme...

Mike

Station X 28th Feb 2021 3:57 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1347343)
Three white knobs and four...

But are these sets of different make?

Steve

First picture is from the film "Train of events".

Panrock 28th Feb 2021 4:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the present day. This gentleman, who lives in the Home Counties, runs an upgraded Baird as the family set in the lounge. He intends to have an 'H' installed on the chimney when the signal becomes available again in the London area, as is hoped.

Steve

Panrock 28th Feb 2021 4:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture already seen recently on this forum, taken from "Here Comes The Sun", a film starring Flanagan and Allen from 1946.

The set appears to be the larger screened EMI pre-war table set variant (eg. HMV 905, Marconi ???) and to have been mounted with the rear poking through a false wall, which could actually be quite a good idea from the point of view of ventilation.

Steve

peter_scott 1st Mar 2021 8:27 pm

Marconi 707.

Panrock 1st Mar 2021 9:24 pm

Ah, thanks Peter. Could it be sets like this with radios generally survived the war in better shape?

Steve

emeritus 2nd Mar 2021 12:51 am

1 Attachment(s)
This illustration is from my late father's copy of the third (1956) edition of Odhams "Radio Television and Electrical Repairs", but I would think it dates from the first (1948) edition.

Does the combined TV and Radio look like an actual model, or is it just a generalised artists' impression? I was always puzzled by this drawing as a child as I had never seen a combined radio and TV.

peter_scott 2nd Mar 2021 10:07 am

My vote goes to the artist's impression.

Peter

Panrock 2nd Mar 2021 10:14 am

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a closer look at Emeritus' set (1st pic). Could it be an actual set?

Talking of artist's impressions, here is a 1939 set I also posted in a previous thread (2nd pic). Though someone has suggested it might be a Burndept.

Pipe smoking seems to have been popular with televiewers, especially pre-war. Maybe my uncle Ed was another example... (3rd pic).

Steve

FERNSEH 2nd Mar 2021 11:43 am

With regard to the first attachment in the previous post, didn't McMichael make a similar post-war TV set?

DFWB.

Panrock 2nd Mar 2021 11:55 am

Similar, but not the same.

http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/m.../mcmichael.htm

Steve

beery 2nd Mar 2021 12:21 pm

Hi Steve,
Surely the 2nd set in your post no. 111 is supposed to be generic, because given the subject matter, wouldn't it imply that the guide was biased if the set was identifiable?

Cheers
Andy

Panrock 2nd Mar 2021 12:29 pm

You're most likely right Andy, though I suppose 'sponsored' product placement is a possibility.

Steve

Stuart R 2nd Mar 2021 7:54 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Another 'is it a real model?' picture from Odham's 1949 "See How It Works" book along with a pipe-smoking looker-in.

Panrock 2nd Mar 2021 9:02 pm

An interesting set indeed, that I can't trace. The dominance of "full-sized" valves and "Visconol" style HV capacitors point to mains EHT. It all looks rather 1939.

Steve

peter_scott 2nd Mar 2021 9:05 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I think it's another artist's impression but perhaps they found it easier to draw after seeing the Cossor 902 with the transparent case.

Peter.

Panrock 2nd Mar 2021 9:11 pm

Spot on, Peter!

Steve

Edit, after you posted the picture: though there are substantial differences in the appearance of the innards. The artist clearly had good technical knowledge.

beery 2nd Mar 2021 9:24 pm

That was a good spot Peter!

Going back to the set in post #109
David suggested a McMichael:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by FERNSEH (Post 1348061)
With regard to the first attachment in the previous post, didn't McMichael make a similar post-war TV set?

DFWB.

However it is also similar to two sets from 1949. See the Cossor 914:-
https://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/cossor/cossor.htm

Or the Ferguson 945TRG:-
https://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/...n/ferguson.htm

Cheers
Andy