UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Radio Knob Brights (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172119)

jonnybear 16th Oct 2020 1:38 pm

Radio Knob Brights

2 Attachment(s)
Whilst recovering buttons on a chair I am upholstering an idea came into my head, the 19mm self cover buttons from a remnant shop are exactly the same profile and size as the button brights on my roberts radio, so with a careful cutting with a dremel or similar to remove back would make replacement brights. I suppose you could go further and plate them gold, just a thought.
John

60 oldjohn 16th Oct 2020 3:28 pm

Re: Radio Knob Brights

2 Attachment(s)
Another source of brights is Tactile Switches. Theses 12mm switches reveal 9.5 / 10mm bronze coloured disk. Using a small jewellers screwdriver lever the ring out of the top of switch. Disk's have a slight bevel. I have some switches to spare if anyone needs the brights I can offer some for postage.

John.

McMurdo 18th Oct 2020 6:31 pm

to add to this, does anyone know a way to replace the 'bush' style knob brights as fitted to the DAC90A? Not a disc, but a sort of ring.

moleman 23rd Oct 2020 1:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn (Post 1300188)
Another source of brights is Tactile Switches. Theses 12mm switches reveal 9.5 / 10mm bronze coloured disk. Using a small jewellers screwdriver lever the ring out of the top of switch. Disk's have a slight bevel. I have some switches to spare if anyone needs the brights I can offer some for postage.

John.

I would be really keen to get some of these, will happily pay postage or can you reveal your source?

60 oldjohn 23rd Oct 2020 11:08 pm

Hi. Is it the switches you require? Or the brights inside? I can take out the brights if that is all you need. Also how many? I can send say 6 switches or 6 brights for postage. What your address ?

Cheers, John.
OOPS this should have been a PM, Please reply by Private message, Your message may be delayed due to being your first post.

moleman 24th Oct 2020 10:21 am

PM sent

Gabe001 13th Dec 2020 7:35 pm

John can you please post the link to those switches? The brights will come in useful and I don't want to deplete your stock

Gabriel

60 oldjohn 13th Dec 2020 10:24 pm

Just to be clear my brights are 9.5mm dia, a lot smaller than the Roberts sets need. I can send 6 brights for postage.

John.

llama 4th Feb 2021 7:10 pm

Going back to the original recommendation, I've just looked on ebay and measured the brights on my Dynatron Nomad which has the same (almost?) knobs as a Roberts R200.

The Dyna seems to be 17mm across - possibly 18mm on the R200.

Anyway, most suppliers have 15mm and 19mm but the colour can be an issue. Some say "metal" as the colour which isn't helpful and the colour rendition on my monitor isn't helped by the glint on the photos. I may buy a set of 5 as an experiment.
Graham