UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Amstrad Integra 4000 amp (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92124)

Ed_Dinning 5th Jan 2013 8:01 pm

Amstrad Integra 4000 amp

Hi Folks, does anyone have an Integra 4000 amp that they could photograph for me please?
The one I have is working fine, but the legends associated with the input and filter selector buttons have worn away and I would like to know what they are.
A schematic would also be useful if available.

Thanks, Ed

GP49000 6th Jan 2013 1:05 am

Re: Amstrad Integra 4000 amp

2 Attachment(s)
The only two photos I've been able to locate on the Web are of the Integra 4000 Mk II. On one, the legends are too small to be legible; on the other, the legends appear to have rubbed off but labels were placed to identify the buttons; those for the mode and filter buttons are legible; the ones for the input buttons are not. Hopefully that will get you halfway there, if nothing else turns up.

teetoon 6th Jan 2013 1:20 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I could only find the Mark II as well. This picture in a Hi Fi mag has the specs and I can just make out the legends above the buttons.

Hope this helps. David.

Ed_Dinning 6th Jan 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for that Gents, just about visible so should be fine.

Best regards, Ed

sp10mk11 7th Jan 2013 7:20 am

oh how i lusted after one of these when i was 15 at school ;-)

mhennessy 7th Jan 2013 7:25 pm

I was given one of these when I was 11. Got my first "proper" electric shock from it too - the chassis was out of the case, it was off, but plugged in. I picked it up and my thumb made contact with the rear of the power switch - there are pins that poke through the body of the switch, carrying live and neutral. Of course, the earthed chassis made it tricky to let go of it. Nasty - remember it as if it was yesterday.

I think mine might have been an earlier version than the advert shows, as the output stages were transistorised. I bought the schematics from Amstrad (for a whole £pound) - probably still have them somewhere. Sadly, I failed to fix it, and my step-dad convinced me to gut it and build my own design in the box - something else I failed to achieve. As I say, I was only 11.

Thanks for the memory :)

Edit: While searching around, I spotted the IC2000, which was my workshop amp when I was a teenager. This arrived with a failed output stage too, but this time I was able to fix it. Not by replacing the big amps, but by building a discrete amplifier on a piece of matrix board in place of the output PCB. I probably used the schematic from the 4000 as the basis for this. Wonder what happened to it? Happy days.

MickMcmichael 7th Jan 2013 9:55 pm

The Amstrad Integra 4000 amplifier - my first "proper" hi-fi. Saved up for it from doing paper rounds when I was 13 but always saved some back for my 25p entrance fee to Peterborough Speedway on Fridays!

But it went wrong. The left hand channel packed up after using it for a school disco, attached to speakers mounted inside discarded bedroom furniture drawers!

Oh dear.

I wrote to Amstrad and they sent me a copy of the circuit diagram and I eventually fixed it ( a 2SD234 TIP type output transistor ) and all is still well to this day.

A really pokey little 12W per channel amplifier which I still use. I've still got the circuit diagram if anyone wants or needs a copy. Bloomin' noisy mains transformer but who cares eh!

The year (not yet mentioned) was 1972. The Amstrad Integra 4000 was always involved in a sales battle with the Teleton GA202. Both amp's had "sliders" and were both priced similarly - around £22 at the time. Just thought I'd mention it.

sp10mk11 7th Jan 2013 11:01 pm

ahhh The Teletons, yes i have a 207 still, always looked a bit better built on the outside, sturdy little 8 watt per-channel amp inside, and then of course there were all the other budget amps, albany house, texas, eagle to name just three that come to mind, they were happy days, bsr/garrard ruled the budget end of turntables with shure and goldring for the cartridges or the tenerol 2001, and those wharfedale dentons or celestion county speakers, awww i miss all that, though not the sound always :-)