UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Beocentre 2002 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=166486)

Michael Maurice 6th May 2020 9:23 am

Beocentre 2002

5 Attachment(s)
This music centre came to me with a very loud hum on the RH channel, irrespective of the volume settings.

A check showed that the output IC was u/s, it's an SI1125H and they are no longer available.

The music centre was a family heirloom and the owner wanted it repaired.

The output stage is a separate module bolted to the heatsink which is fixed to the rear of the cabinet.

I decided the best way forward would be to redesign the output stage using modern chips mounted on a new board.

The IC I chose was the LM3886F (plastic package)

The circuit boards were designed on Kicad and made in China.

The system is on test at the moment and giving a good account of itself.

And here it is:

Outrun_uk 6th May 2020 9:30 am

Re: Beocentre 2002

Very neat and tidy, excellent work! :clap:

Radio Wrangler 6th May 2020 10:00 am

Now that really is going the extra mile for a customer!

Superb.

David

turretslug 6th May 2020 10:21 am

Very impressive Michael, puts the original standard of construction to shame. I hope that they are appreciative and that it continues to give good service for many years.

The sort of up-cycling that gets a hearty thumbs-up from me!

Colin

Radio Wrangler 6th May 2020 12:23 pm

There is a big difference between the standard of aeshetics on the outside of most B&O products and the standard of the electronics inside.

I'd rate the electronics as disappointing - must try harder. Though the 4000 turntable is OK.

David

Uncle Bulgaria 6th May 2020 2:42 pm

I think they made most of their cheaper offerings in the Far East and some enthusiasts don't consider them 'proper' B&O. I got a BeoCentre 2200(?) from a charity shop in Sweden which I fixed up and gave to my brother. Nice to look at, but also plasticky inside!

I certainly wouldn't have the knowledge to rebuild an output stage. I applaud the work on show here, and hope I can work towards having that option in my arsenal if a repair requires it. We can all dream!

Andrew Sinclair 7th May 2020 6:36 pm

Glad you got it going Michael.
Andrew

Beobloke 8th May 2020 4:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria (Post 1243381)
I think they made most of their cheaper offerings in the Far East and some enthusiasts don't consider them 'proper' B&O. I got a BeoCentre 2200(?) from a charity shop in Sweden which I fixed up and gave to my brother. Nice to look at, but also plasticky inside!

Yes, please don’t judge B&O by the likes of the Beocenter 2000/2002/2100/2200/4000 etc. as you are quite right that they were budget models. They were built in the Far East and contain very few actual B&O bits!

They’re admittedly, still fair performers but you can do much better.

John Caswell 9th May 2020 10:53 am

I would second what Beobloke says.
All the B&O stuff I have had in for repair has been of excellent construction, top quality circuitry, and performed exceedingly well.
I finally managed to lay my hands on a Beomaster 5000 FM tuner that I had lusted after for 40 odd years. I was not disappointed.
I think B&O got a very unfair reputation for "not being HiFi' but those in the know new better

John

John Caswell 9th May 2020 2:58 pm

Apparently spelling is not my strong point
"those in the know new better"
Tut Tut. "those in the know knew better"
I hang my head in shame, sorry teacher!

John