UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Another pulse to tone possibility (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155281)

winston_1 19th Apr 2019 5:41 pm

Re: Another pulse to tone possibility

Quote:

Originally Posted by giraffenigel (Post 1137630)
It's working! Because of the lack of instructions I had assumed that it was wired the same as the alldav and Dialgizmo as they all look the same - not so! The RJ11 socket is the output and the other end is the input.
I wired a female BT to the 2 terminals inside and an RJ11 to BT plug into the socket and it works perfectly. Remember when wiring the lead that the 2 INSIDE contacts on the RJ11 are the line.

I'm confused now.
I originally wired it with the phone connected to L2 and P1 with the line going to the RJ45 socket as that seemed the obvious way, but it did not work. Seeing your post I tried the phone into the RJ45 socket and the line to L2 and P1. It still does not work.
So which is the correct connection? Though whether it really matters I'm not sure as it does not work either way.

Graham G3ZVT 19th Apr 2019 9:44 pm

The last sentence of giraffenigel's post is likely to be significant. If the line cord you are using came from a phone it is likely that pins 2&5 on the BT plug are connected to the outer pair of the RJ11, that won't work. 2&5 of the BT plug need to connect to the inner pair of the RJ11.

giraffenigel 20th Apr 2019 10:51 am

Rambo1152 is correct, the line from the socket has to go from the inner 2 of the RJ11 plug to 2 & 5 on the BT plug, I had to make one.

winston_1 20th Apr 2019 10:54 am

My RJ45 is connected correctly. I get dial tone, the LED on the board lights. But the device does not work. DTMF tones are not generated and dial pulses are not suppressed on the line.

giraffenigel 20th Apr 2019 10:54 am

Winston 1, if you aren't able to get one PM me your address and I'll send you one.

winston_1 22nd Apr 2019 7:45 pm

That's a kind offer. Thanks. PM sent.

dagskarlsen 23rd Apr 2019 6:29 pm

I have orderered on of these: https://bre.is/ujD4GEKd2
It should be a kind of rotatone copy with polarity guard. If it works I'll by one more. :-)

dsk

Graham G3ZVT 23rd Apr 2019 6:56 pm

My guess is the dial connects to G, O & P,
Ground (com), Off- normal & Pulse, but it looks as if you have to improvise your own terminals using the holes in the PCB.

dagskarlsen 23rd Apr 2019 7:27 pm

I have used a similar or close to in 2015, but sold the phone, yes the pinout was as you described.

winston_1 24th Apr 2019 3:29 pm

For closure I'm glad to say PAYPAL have now refunded the full amount.

dagskarlsen 25th Apr 2019 2:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagskarlsen (Post 1139238)
I have orderered on of these: https://bre.is/ujD4GEKd2
It should be a kind of rotatone copy with polarity guard. If it works I'll by one more. :-)

dsk

It came today, and I can not see any difference from what I got in 2015.
Pinout: the 2 wires goes to where the pulse contacts were connected before, and G= common O=normally open contact set, and P = the pulsing contact

You dial a digit, and hear the dtmf, holding 1 at the finger-stop until beep is heard and release=redial last number, similar with 2 and 3 dials * and #

It may be more but it came without any documentation at all.

I'll order one more today

dsk

dagskarlsen 29th Apr 2019 7:55 am

I have done a little more testing, and a capacitor across the 2 pink wires gives a better voice quality, 2uF did it.
I did also try to connect it across the line, since the terminals are mareked L1 and L2, but that almost took all the signals from the phone.

I am working on a manual for later use.
dsk

dagskarlsen 29th Apr 2019 5:42 pm

Could I please get some help with the English, this is translated from my language Norwegian and are probably far from perfect. Text on the pictures are not easy to manage. Link for downladable doc.

Please feel free to do wht you want with it, but I will not be responsible for any miss use of what I have experienced, and give no warranties :-)

Thank you

dsk

Dave Moll 29th Apr 2019 6:35 pm

I have downloaded your document and and am happy to proof-read and adjust the text for you. If you PM me with your email address, we can bounce the text between us until we are both happy.

Two questions at this stage: Is "Dialor 1" the name (and thus intentionally spelt that way)? Do you wish to end up with British or American spellings?

dagskarlsen 4th May 2019 9:23 pm

Thank you, I have now got fantastic help from Dave Moll for the UK English version, and to Stuart Bauman for the US English version.

Here they are: UK version
US version

Please feel free to use and share this.

dsk

dagskarlsen 13th May 2019 3:28 pm

Here is the original manual!

I have problems reading this, but the pictures confirms what we have written ourselves, they have not found the idea with the 2uF capacitor, and they have something about cleaning and adjusting dial contacts.

The dial looks equal to the Antwerp telephones.

dsk

Dave Moll 13th May 2019 3:46 pm

Not being able to read Chinese, I am left with just the pictures. Without intelligible words, I find pictures alone difficult to follow.

I can confirm from experience the importance of clean dial contacts, as a thin layer of (non-conducting) oxidation that is easily overcome by line current can look open-circuit to the much smaller currents within the electronics of an internal tone pulse-to-converter such as a Rotatone. Stand-alone converters such as Dialgizmo do not rely directly upon the dial contacts, presumably operating by detection of the break in loop current.

dagskarlsen 13th May 2019 4:05 pm

something has happend to the links ower, maybe this will do for the UK English version?
https://bre.is/t4zM6yHtO

dsk

dagskarlsen 13th May 2019 5:03 pm

Here with comments. https://bre.is/XlwhCO6yW
I hope my English is better than my Chinese :-)

dsk