UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Freeview feeding signal to VCR issues. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153890)

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 1:02 am

Freeview feeding signal to VCR issues.

Hi,

Edit: I don't think the Title makes much sense, it might be better as Freeview Digital - Analogue conversion issues (?) (I'm not too sure)

I have a Freeview box which needs to be converted into analogue for use on my TV,

The signal from the free view is too strong for the TV with the use of SCART, so I need to use a Coaxial Attenuator

I plugged the attenuator into the Freeview box, then a wire out to the VCR, which is being used as a modulator, and now im stuck.

I cannot find the freeview input in the VCR, how can I sort this out?

I've just this minute had the idea of hooking up the FV box to the VCR and then lowering the signal from the VCR, but I don't this would work, would it?

Thanks

dave walsh 10th Feb 2019 2:26 am

Re: Freeview into VCR issues

You seem to have a lot of ongoing problems INH. If you are also a fan of the "InsertNameHere" TV Program-that's another one!

FV Box [Digital] into VCR and then RF into TV works very well nearly all the time for most people. Are you correctly tuned into a spare channel on the set? What is the model? If you are really overloading the TV [unlikely] then the attenuator needs to be in the RF line. A specific "Freeview Input" in the VCR does not exist-it's the ubiquitous Scart Socket! That might explain your confusion.

Dave W

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 3:32 am

I certainly am, As im still pretty much a beginner to the Vintage TV world, I’m still learning and of course, I refer to here to be safe, or if i really am stuck, but i like a challenge

I have had the freeview box display a picture, which was just the Info bar at the bottom of the screen, and a “No Signal” background, then a box reading “Signal too Strong, Tuner turned off” (something along those lines) This was using the SCART Into the VCR and RF out as my TV only has a coaxial input, and nothing else.

Channel 8 is always tuned into the VCR and is the only channel used at the moment, as the VCR is being used as a RF modulator.

The model of the VCR is a LG LV210 and the FV box is a Slivercrest SL 35 T.

I have the attenuator plugged directly into the RF output on the FV box, then a coaxial cable into the coax input of the VCR then another coax from the RF out to the TV.

I use the SCART for everything else (Xbox’s and another VCR)
As i said, when i got a picture, i was using SCART into the VCR from the FV, and coax out to TV.

If i were to put the attenuator in the RF line out from the VCR, but the FV box was plugged in using SCART, would this work? I havent tried this yet, due to the time. I would imagine that using the attenuator out from the VCR would just limit the whole VCRs output and not just the FV box, and therefore not work properly?

Thanks

John123 10th Feb 2019 3:43 am

You probably just need to select the correct A/V input on the VCR, which will correspond to whichever SCART socket you plugged the Freeview box into.

You should have Channel +/- buttons on the front of the VCR. If you keep pressing the minus button, theoretically it should then cycle down through the available A/V input(s).

Better still, if you have the VCR's original remote you can select from there.

*EDIT* Just saw your post! I believe the attenuator should go on the 'Aerial In' of the Freeview box. You shouldn't need to run a coax from the Freeview box to the VCR, as there are no analogue channels for the VCR to receive.

dave walsh 10th Feb 2019 3:52 am

What is the Model of the TV?
Forget attenuation or Freeview for now!

Can the VCR play a tape?
If so, do that and tune Ch8 for the best picture via the RF lead out from the VCR to the aerial socket on the TV!
If you have a picture, plug in the FV box [with an aerial attached] via scart out to the scart in on the VCR.
Select AV on the VCR.
You should now see the FV screen, not the video tape!
If not report on what's happening. [I don't think the attenuator will be needed].

PS. Crossed posts with John. It's very late!

Dave W

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 4:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by John123 (Post 1119081)
You probably just need to select the correct A/V input on the VCR, which will correspond to whichever SCART socket you plugged the Freeview box into.

You should have Channel +/- buttons on the front of the VCR. If you keep pressing the minus button, theoretically it should then cycle down through the available A/V input(s).

Better still, if you have the VCR's original remote you can select from there.

*EDIT* Just saw your post! I believe the attenuator should go on the 'Aerial In' of the Freeview box. You shouldn't need to run a coax from the Freeview box to the VCR, as there are no analogue channels for the VCR to receive.

I only have one AV channel, which the VCR only uses as SCART. I have the original remote so i’ll have a look later.

I never thought of putting it on Aerial In, if that works then it should hopefully work through SCART.

Thanks for your help

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 4:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave walsh (Post 1119082)
What is the Model of the TV?
Forget attenuation or Freeview for now!

Can the VCR play a tape?
If so, do that and tune Ch8 for the best picture via the RF lead out from the VCR to the aerial socket on the TV!
If you have a picture, plug in the FV box [with an aerial attached] via scart out to the scart in on the VCR.
Select AV on the VCR.
You should now see the FV screen, not the video tape!
If not report on what's happening. [I don't think the attenuator will be needed].

PS. Crossed posts with John. It's very late!

Dave W

TV is a Hitachi CTP213 from 1977

The VCR i use as a modulator cannot play a tape, i have a second VCR for that, which doesnt work on RF out onto the TV. I have to use the LG as a converter using SCART.

I have done as you suggested, and that’s when i was told the signal was too strong. I’ll try again tomorrow - more like later and report back.

Thanks for helping

Tester. 10th Feb 2019 3:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere (Post 1119079)
I have had the freeview box display a picture, which was just the Info bar at the bottom of the screen, and a “No Signal” background, then a box reading “Signal too Strong, Tuner turned off” (something along those lines) This was using the SCART Into the VCR and RF out as my TV only has a coaxial input...

As the Freeview STB is itself complaining, then the attenuator MUST go on the 'aerial in' as Dave W said. That OSD message has nothing to do with the Scart output.

But there's another relevant setting (on the FV-STB) you should check: the "Antenna Power" switch/menu — on most cases, it should be off/disabled (most aerials have their own power supply). Otherwise, you'd be shorting the signal and that's when the tuner selfprotection kicks in. This is a fairly common oversight / mistake / default setting.
In this case, you may not need the attenuator after all.

Graham G3ZVT 10th Feb 2019 4:19 pm

**You need to get back to how it was in Post #3, when you had the graphics from the STB displayed, using a SCART lead between the STB and VHS, and an coax lead between RF Out on the VHS, and the aerial socket of the TV.

**Select the AV input on the VHS

**No connection is required from RF out on the STB
**No connection is required to Aerial In on the VHS

I must confess I have never seen a Freeview STB report that the signal is too strong, That's not to suggest it can't be, I've just never seen a graphic that said that.

Leaving that aside,

Are you sure that the aerial point you are using actually works?
Is the Freeview box "tuned in"
Go into the installation menu and find (something like) First time installation and do a full rescan.

Repeat with the attenuator on the STB aerial plug if necessary.

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 4:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tester. (Post 1119216)
Quote:

Originally Posted by InsertNameHere (Post 1119079)
I have had the freeview box display a picture, which was just the Info bar at the bottom of the screen, and a “No Signal” background, then a box reading “Signal too Strong, Tuner turned off” (something along those lines) This was using the SCART Into the VCR and RF out as my TV only has a coaxial input...

As the Freeview STB is itself complaining, then the attenuator MUST go on the 'aerial in' as Dave W said. That OSD message has nothing to do with the Scart output.

But there's another relevant setting (on the FV-STB) you should check: the "Antenna Power" switch/menu — on most cases, it should be off/disabled (most aerials have their own power supply). Otherwise, you'd be shorting the signal and that's when the tuner selfprotection kicks in. This is a fairly common oversight / mistake / default setting.
In this case, you may not need the attenuator after all.

I’ve put the attenuator on aerial in as i don’t have the remote for the FV box (i found it very cheap online) so i cannot access the menu, i only have Channel Up, Channel down, and standby. Would a typical IR remote control work? I can pick one up cheap from across the road.

Thanks

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 5:08 pm

2 Attachment(s)
This is what im met with

First image is no attenuator
Second is with attenuator

Thanks

Lloyd 1985 10th Feb 2019 5:27 pm

I think you would be better off getting a freeview box with it's remote rather than this one, so called universal remotes sometimes work, but more often than not they don't quite work. You will probably need to get into the menu to re-tune the box, unless it's been used in your area before.

Regards,
Lloyd

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 5:34 pm

I see. It’s from Norwich i think so it had a little way to travel. I’ll have to wait a bit then as i havent got money at the moment.

I can give a universal remote a try, but no issue if it doesnt work as they’re only £1.

Thanks

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 6:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1152 (Post 1119221)
**You need to get back to how it was in Post #3, when you had the graphics from the STB displayed, using a SCART lead between the STB and VHS, and an coax lead between RF Out on the VHS, and the aerial socket of the TV.

**Select the AV input on the VHS

**No connection is required from RF out on the STB
**No connection is required to Aerial In on the VHS

I must confess I have never seen a Freeview STB report that the signal is too strong, That's not to suggest it can't be, I've just never seen a graphic that said that.

Leaving that aside,

Are you sure that the aerial point you are using actually works?
Is the Freeview box "tuned in"
Go into the installation menu and find (something like) First time installation and do a full rescan.

Repeat with the attenuator on the STB aerial plug if necessary.

Sorry, I've only just seen your reply, somehow.

I don't know if the aerial point works, or the aerial for that matter, though it should as I bought it a few days ago, as for the FV box, it's 10 years old so there is chance that something doesn't work.

The freeview box isn't tuned in as I don't have the remote to access the menu to do so.

The FV box does give the info bar at the bottom of the screen with the channel, just no program information nor any picture.

Of course the TV is analog, so I need to go through the VCR to get it to work.

Thanks

Graham G3ZVT 10th Feb 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Freeview feeding signal to VCR issues.

Oh dear, where do I start :shrug:

Without the remote you probably don't have the means to scan (tune) the box.
It is quite likely that its previous owner received a different transmitter, with different multiplex frequencies, and in any case changes to Freeview mean frequent re scanning is necessary
If it's 10 years old the box may be obsolete, due to changes made in the Freeview standards (Network Information Table splitting, and inability to cope with frequency offsets to name two). Maybe that's why it was cheap.

That aerial!
The way talk about it I am suspecting it is an actual indoor aerial and not something on the roof, am I right?

Such things rarely work in practice.

Do you have an outside aerial installed on your premises?

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 7:19 pm

I have no means to scan at all, I only have channel up and down buttons and on/off

I have no idea for the sale of the FV box, it was £2.50 so I thought it was worth a try, at least. That seems very plausible.

The aerial is an indoor one from One For All, I don't have a roof aerial, which is a shame as I actually have the end of the wire for it in my room, so it'd be a very easy installation.

I could always take the indoor aerial back, and try and buy a outdoors aerial.

Of course, i'd need to find a new FV box.

Thanks

Graham G3ZVT 10th Feb 2019 7:27 pm

"Tester" is absolutely right in Post#8
Look at the second paragraph on the fourth page of this PDF (differs from the marked page 4)
The message refers to a power overload, not a signal overload.

http://www.universbyfte.com/en/resou...s/u4150_en.pdf

It might not be the same box, but appears to have similar firmware.

Sideband 10th Feb 2019 7:39 pm

A lot of your troubles seem to be because you are going into things with incomplete kit! The freeview box will undoubtedly need tuning in since it's now operating in a different area. For that you WILL need the correct remote or at least one that properly operates the tuning and menu functions. Get that sorted out first.

You need to understand that SCART video connections are standard and the video level is industry standard. So if it has video output on SCART it will be at standard level and will work with any other SCART input. Also that SCART is nothing whatsoever to do with aerial input. Take one thing at a time

19Seventy7 10th Feb 2019 7:53 pm

I'm sorry, but I've got myself really confused, I can't find the part you're mean, what 8th page should I be looking at? the 8th page of the booklet, which is marked 8 on the image, or the 8th page of the whole PDF, and what the PDF is telling me is 8?

Thanks

Graham G3ZVT 10th Feb 2019 8:03 pm

It's me that needs to apologise this time, I've amended post #17. Fourth page of the PDF.