UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140849)

Skywave 27th Oct 2017 3:53 pm

Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

For joining wood, I have always used PVA adhesive and have found it to be excellent for that purpose. I am now thinking of trying Gorilla Glue: would anyone care to give me the benefit of their experiences & opinions of that product for joining wood, please?

Thank you,
Al.

paulsherwin 27th Oct 2017 4:19 pm

Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

It's a proprietary brand of polyurethane glue. Most furniture manufacturers use polyurethane now, but I understand restorers and cabinetmakers dislike it because it's difficult to remove if a joint needs to be remade. I have no personal experience of using it, as I'm not a woodworker.

When making running repairs to (low value) furniture, I use PVA for low stress joints and epoxy where more strength and/or moisture resistance is needed.

It's apparently very good for repairing book bindings, but I use PVA for that.

ThePillenwerfer 27th Oct 2017 4:24 pm

The trouble is, Al that Gorilla has become a brand rather than a product. You can get Gorilla super-glue, wood glue, sticky tape and goodness knows what else.

The Original Gorilla Glue was/is polyurethane based and it will stick wood, it'll stick it very well and is waterproof. However it (and other polyurethane adhesives) tends to leave viable joint lines so it is generally only used for structural carpentry, where strength matters more than looks, rather than cabinet-making.

Basically it depends what you want to use it for as to whether it's suitable or not.

dseymo1 27th Oct 2017 4:37 pm

If you decide to try it, wear gloves! You'll inevitably get some on your fingers otherwise, which will end up black. I'm not sure if there's some sort of reaction between skin and the glue (which usually cures amber-ish), or if it instantly attracts dirt.
In my experience, it's very effective provided one doesn't attempt to bridge a gap, as is true of many other adhesives. Carefully used, it can result in a joint stronger than the timber. Shelf life is a few months, after which it gradually becomes very viscous.

Biggles 27th Oct 2017 4:49 pm

Gorilla brand superglue is one of the best types I have used over the years, but I haven't any experience of their other glue products. The superglue tube seems pretty good at remaining usable over a period of time, as some other types I have had get stuck together and difficult to reopen after a couple of uses. That may just be me doing something wrong of course.
Alan.

ms660 27th Oct 2017 5:06 pm

3 Attachment(s)
If it's a PU glue then it's a great gap filler when gluing up mitres on deep softwood skirting which is usually convex/concave!! No filler or decorators caulk required!!

Ordinary PVA glue is very good also, been using it for years, I made some sawlog ramps from some bits of 3"X2" and 3"X1" and sheathed in 12mm plywood, all glued up with PVA, tested to 3/4 ton between them that I know of, probably take at least a ton between them before failure.

Glued (plus a few nails) ramps shown....Chief hillbilly at the helm of the chainsaw mill!8-o

Lawrence.

valveaudio 27th Oct 2017 5:10 pm

I have used Gorilla glue, but I find that Titebond 3 works better for me, it seems to provide a stronger joint.

Trevor

G6Tanuki 27th Oct 2017 5:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer (Post 986418)
The trouble is, Al that Gorilla has become a brand rather than a product. You can get Gorilla super-glue, wood glue, sticky tape and goodness knows what else.

What he says!

"Gorilla" is a brand for a *wide range* of adhesive/tape-products, just as "WD40" is a brand for a *range* of spray-on lubricants/water-dispersants/shock-releasing-agents/greases and "Ford" is a brand for a *range* of cars.

It always annoys me when someone says "I used WD40 on it" but then when I ask just what WD40-product they used they get aggressive and think *I* am the one with the comprehension-issues.

Bazz4CQJ 27th Oct 2017 5:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dseymo1 (Post 986419)
If you decide to try it, wear gloves! You'll inevitably get some on your fingers otherwise, which will end up black. I'm not sure if there's some sort of reaction between skin and the glue (which usually cures amber-ish)

I think it is the case that water (sweat) reacts with polurethanes and may actually enhance the bonding, so that could be a good choice where getting perfectly dry surfaces is hard. I haven't yet tried any of the Gorilla range, but as others have said, different types of adhesive and different makes of adhesive all have their various merits and de-merits, so it's horses for courses.

B

David G4EBT 27th Oct 2017 6:11 pm

It's the moisture content of wood which causes PU glue (such as original Gorrila glue) to cure. The instructions tell you to dampen the wood. The instructions so say that you need to squeeze the bottle to exclude air after use. It's favoured for repairing loose joints on old furniture as it expands on curing. I've not used it - I generally use Titebond, aliphatic adhesive, colloquially known as 'yeller'. (There are several types of Titebond).

TimLiggins 27th Oct 2017 7:41 pm

For antique and vintage equipment and furniture I would only use a reversible adhesive. In my case Titebond Hide Glue.

paulsherwin 27th Oct 2017 7:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 986432)
"Gorilla" is a brand for a *wide range* of adhesive/tape-products, just as "WD40" is a brand for a *range* of spray-on lubricants/water-dispersants/shock-releasing-agents/greases and "Ford" is a brand for a *range* of cars.

Gorilla Glue (as in the thread title) is the polyurethane glue product. The Gorilla brand is used for a number of other products from the same company, but these are not "Gorilla Glue".

TimLiggins 27th Oct 2017 7:47 pm

Also, PU glues expand by 4 so if you over apply it ends up where you don't want it! Then its almost impossible to remove.

G6Tanuki 27th Oct 2017 7:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsherwin (Post 986455)
Gorilla Glue (as in the thread title) is the polyurethane glue product. The Gorilla brand is used for a number of other products from the same company, but these are not "Gorilla Glue".

In hobbyist/crafter/maker circles if you say "Gorilla Glue" people will generally assume you mean this hot-melt stuff: http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-hot-glue-sticks

You can't assume everyone understands what you're referring to when you use a brandname without further qualification.

paulsherwin 27th Oct 2017 8:05 pm

No, you are mistaken about this. The polyurethane adhesive is Gorilla Glue - it says it on the packet. The hot melt adhesive is "Gorilla Hot Glue Sticks". The Gorilla brand is new to the UK, but any American will tell you exactly what Gorilla Glue is, even if they use the hot melt stuff or any of the other Gorilla products. It's pretty much become a genericized trademark like Band-Aid over there.

PJL 27th Oct 2017 8:18 pm

Evo-stick exterior wood glue will produce a bond that is stronger than the wood itself but it is only suitable where the faces you are bonding are close fitting and are clamped when settings. Polyurethane glue has the benefit it will fill voids but I have not been impressed with adhesion. (I am restoring sash windows at the moment, on my 2nd with only about 25 sashes to go).

ms660 27th Oct 2017 8:20 pm

Ditto for their PVA wood glue: "Gorilla"..."Wood Glue"

EDIT: post crossed.

Lawrence.

G6Tanuki 27th Oct 2017 8:34 pm

So, Gorilla may be a new brand to the UK but the people I've worked on-and-off with in the US for a couple of decades [including the prosthetics/costumes-people behind Jim Henson's Creature Factory] invariably mean the hot-melt stuff when they talk generically of Gorilla Glue. Before "Gorilla" became established in the UK I had a friend in California regularly bring me Gorilla-brand hot melt sticks she got free through work and if I asked her to 'bring me some more gorilla-glue on your next visit' I knew what to expect.

I guess we need to agree to disagree on this.

[To me, proper wood-glue is "Cascamite" or "Aerolite 306"]

ms660 27th Oct 2017 8:44 pm

Aerolite 306...

Lawrence.

TimLiggins 27th Oct 2017 9:27 pm

If the surfaces to be joined are flat and you can slide them, a 'rubbed" hide glue joint is unbeatable. If the surfaces are uneven use PU. If using PU damp the surfaces and use masking tape either side of the joint and wear latex gloves!

I am in the process, not for the first time, of restoring a set of 8 antique dining chairs (my wife does the upholstery). From previous experience hide glue is the way to go, and can always be undone by steaming when they need to be restored again in another 100 years.