UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Websites (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Just for Vintage fun (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147099)

Guest 2nd Jun 2018 4:20 pm

Just for Vintage fun

Spotted this https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/quizzes/cbbc-hq-vintage-quiz on the BBC website, I got full marks by the way. Surprising how fast not that very old stuff gets forgotten.

Dave Moll 2nd Jun 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Just for Vintage fun

One trouble is that on some of the questions, although it was obvious (to the likes of us anyway) which answer was the "correct" one, one or more of the other answers could also be true - e.g. clearly they wanted the answer "television" for the platform running Ceefax, but I also used to use it on my BBC Micro with a teletext adaptor. Likewise the fax machine is usable as a telephone - and mine is also an answering machine.

Additionally, their "correct" answer for using a rotary dial was incomplete - releasing the dial when reaching the finger-stop is also an essential part, given that the dialling happens on the way back. This may seem obvious to you and me, but I was demonstrating my old 'phones to a teenager a while back and had difficulty persuading her to let go of the dial to let it do its work!

TonyDuell 2nd Jun 2018 5:38 pm

I also got them all... Heck, I have used some of the items (floppy disk, rotary telephone dial, etc) today, and have several others (fax machines, OHP, etc) here.

And I agree some of the questions were ambiguous. The fax machine shown is clearly also a telephone (why else would it have a handset?). And I once received teletext on a pocket calculator with a home-made interface (!). Incidentally I don't think any sane person would rewind a whole cassette with a pencil, but it was a common trick to use one to turn the spools to tighten or unsnarl the tape. There was a little device with a speed-up gearbox, handle on the input, hexagonal post on the output that you could fit onto a cassette to rewind it by hand, though.

PJL 2nd Jun 2018 7:25 pm

The pencil trick was only required after the player went haywire and spat loops of tape everywhere.

M0FYA Andy 2nd Jun 2018 7:31 pm

I thought that the alternative wrong answers were all, at best, rather silly. In a good quiz the alternatives should all be plausible.

Herald1360 2nd Jun 2018 8:11 pm

Anyone know what the right age to use comments is? Apparently I'm not- maybe 7/7 gives something away!

Dave Moll 2nd Jun 2018 9:08 pm

... and how did it know what age I am to determine that I'm the "wrong" age?

GrimJosef 2nd Jun 2018 10:01 pm

You are aware, I hope, Dave that internet entities collect information about you and aggregate it to build an image ...

I don't know what the limit is for CBBC comments but did I see that quite a few of them contained a character string starting U17... ? If so then that might be an indication.

Cheers,

GJ

MurphyNut 2nd Jun 2018 11:01 pm

I was surprised I got them all right and I was never really into most of that stuff, maybe I was just the right age to remember it (58)

dave walsh 3rd Jun 2018 1:10 am

Take it from me On Line BBC-Dave Moll is a mere youngster-just like yourself!
"Stop Dave-Dave stop!" [2001 A Space Odyessy]

Dave W

mark_in_manc 3rd Jun 2018 8:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyDuell (Post 1048701)
Incidentally I don't think any sane person would rewind a whole cassette with a pencil

You must have had more money to spend on batteries than I did in 1985, when I was delivering free newspapers for as little as £1.50 for three hours work :) Or maybe your walkman-alike was easier on power than my very cheap knockoff!

(We used to use a hexagonal pencil like a handle and wizz the cassette round and round like a football rattle).

stitch1 3rd Jun 2018 9:14 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Me too! At least until I got one of these :)

John

TonyDuell 4th Jun 2018 5:09 am

That's the little device I mentioned with the speed-increasing gearbox. 2 gears inside, a large one on the handle shaft and a small one to drive the hexagonal peg that goes into the cassette.

JohnBHanson 8th Jun 2018 7:53 am

There is an interview with the actors that play the children in "Young Sheldon" a series about a young "geek" set in the late 70s/early 80s.

They are presented with some items such as a floppy disk and it is interesting to see what the children make of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJbRqtXLgE

Herald1360 9th Jun 2018 11:05 am

1 Attachment(s)
Mostly they knew what the things were used for, though not their period correct common names.

I wonder how many of us 60+ would have known what something like say a knife polisher (kitchen equipment from pre stainless steel days) was at their age?

Dave Moll 9th Jun 2018 8:29 pm

I probably only know that one from watching antiques programmes on the television. I've certainly never used one.

emeritus 10th Jun 2018 12:01 pm

For emergency cassette winding, I always found that a pencil was too slim, but a BIC crystal ball point was a precise fit.

Guest 10th Jun 2018 1:06 pm

Quote:

I wonder how many of us 60+ would have known what something like say a knife polisher (kitchen equipment from pre stainless steel days) was at their age?
at least one.

I am just old enough to remember a man coming down the street at granddads in Chadwell Heath to sharpen/polish knives, must have been about 1965. Granddad took a few kinves out, I am under 60 and do know what a knife polisher is.

crackle 14th Jun 2018 7:14 am

I always found a pencil too small, but a Bic biro fitted perfectly.

Mike

Dillen_de 27th Jun 2018 7:04 am

It seems, the fun is for UK only.
The quiz cannot be accessed from outside UK.

Martin