UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Philco People's Set - Fan Heater?! (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140782)

machineage 24th Oct 2017 11:58 am

Philco People's Set - Fan Heater?!

Hi all

Well now I might be going mad - but does anyone know if a bakelite cased fan heater which looked for all the world like Philco's People’s Set was ever produced? I seem to recall seeing such a thing many years ago - it may have also had chrome plated louvres?

I am aware of GEC’s DM 245 which is another fan heater fashioned to look like a radio.

Maybe I dreamt it?! :dunce:

Thanks!

MurphyNut 24th Oct 2017 1:13 pm

Re: Philco People's Set - Fan Heater?!

Yes they were made, I regret not buying the one I saw at a market some years ago, it was expensive and damage so I passed it by, not seen one since.

Robert Darwent 24th Oct 2017 1:47 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Yes, circa 1936 - Philco even borrowed the back cover from the 444 model!

Regards :thumbsup:

machineage 24th Oct 2017 2:46 pm

Ahhh - so I wasn't going mad ;D

I'm amazed it was modelled on the People's Set case and manufactured by Philco! Does it have a model number or name?

Now this is something I need in my life - anyone have one they would part with :-D

MurphyNut 24th Oct 2017 3:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by machineage (Post 985618)
Now this is something I need in my life - anyone have one they would part with

I'd love one in my collection. I have the GEC that also looks remarkably like a radio, they aren't that common but the Philco is very rare indeed!

Tractorfan 24th Oct 2017 8:09 pm

Hi,
The fan motor in photo no. 2 is reminiscent of the motors fitted to Collaro record and tape decks.
Cheers, Pete.

Alvin 26th Oct 2017 4:14 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphyNut (Post 985592)
I regret not buying the one I saw at a market some years ago............not seen one since.

Same here - When I got home I gave myself a severe talking to for not buying one from a car boot market probably about 8 years ago and vainly hoped the dealer, who was a regular there. would still have it the following week but no such luck :(

Heatercathodeshort 27th Oct 2017 8:32 am

Ahgggg! That explains why I can only get a low level hum and no stations on my 444. J.

Alvin 27th Oct 2017 10:30 am

Didn't you wonder why it ran hot?

Phil G4SPZ 27th Oct 2017 11:07 am

Did they base Darth Vader's helmet on it too?

yampy187 27th Oct 2017 11:33 am

But.... Do you have to grease the bearings every January the 1st? Like those bakelite HMV Cavendish heaters :)