UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Special Auction 11th Feb '18 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143428)

audiomagpie 27th Jan 2018 7:23 pm

Special Auction 11th Feb '18

At Royal Wootton Bassett Memorial Hall, SN4 8EN on Sunday 11th February we'll be holding an auction-only event.
Approx. 400 lots comprising vintage radio, television, communications, audio, test gear, valves, components, books, magazines, ephemera, etc. will be going under the hammer. Hall open for viewing at 9am, auction to start at 10.30am. Hot and cold refreshments are available throughout the day and we will take a break for lunch. There will not be any stalls or bring and buy table at this event, there simply isn't room!

For location and directions, see: https://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

If you haven't yet renewed your BVWS membership for 2018, you'll need to do so to gain entry to the event and also to obtain a bidding card, so visit: https://membership.bvws.org.uk
Please do so in advance to save time on the day, as you will be unable to renew and thus obtain a bidding card once the auction starts......

Valid members may bring a visitor (who is not otherwise a past member). Only valid members may bid, however visitors can join the Society on the morning (and subsequently be valid to bid) but before 10am please at the auction table.

(Sorry to go heavy handed with the rule book but there's often one or two who try and take advantage, which is unfair on the law abiding majority)

An auction list will be published a little nearer the time.

Look forward to seeing you there, I do know there's an amazing line up of kit going to be on offer...

greenstar 28th Jan 2018 9:14 am

Re: Special Auction 11th Feb '18

Greg, have the renewed membership cards for 2018 been sent out? I sent mine in by post before Christmas, so need to know it's been received and if I will be a member on the 11th! You probably don't want to be flooded with such requests, so be good to know when they are likely to be processed. Thanks for all your efforts.
Tony

Boater Sam 28th Jan 2018 10:00 am

Greg, I'm away till end of March so won't attend but it has jogged my memory that I have not renewed nor can I from here I suppose.
Is there a way I can renew on line, don't want to miss an issue of the Bulletin?

audiomagpie 28th Jan 2018 10:20 am

You can renew your membership quickly and easily online by debit/credit card or PayPal: https://membership.bvws.org.uk

Membership cards will be sent out in one swoop, directly from the printers later in February, giving everyone good time to renew.

We'll check names against the database for this event, as no one will have a membership card at this stage.....

Boater Sam 28th Jan 2018 1:17 pm

Ah, I won't have the number from the winter issue! Is there a way around this please?
Sam.

audiomagpie 28th Jan 2018 1:38 pm

I've PM'd you Sam..

Boater Sam 28th Jan 2018 2:25 pm

He's a grand chap that Greg.
Thanks,
Sam.

Alvin 28th Jan 2018 4:17 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagpie (Post 1012012)
You can renew your membership quickly and easily online by debit/credit card or PayPal: https://membership.bvws.org.uk

My membership lapsed some time ago and this prompted me to consider rejoining but I was puzzled to read 'Choosing three year membership gives you a discount of £3' yet the prices don't reflect that.

I thought maybe the discount would be applied at checkout but that wasn't the case so for the time being I abandoned the application.

Alvin

audiomagpie 28th Jan 2018 10:51 pm

Apologies Alvin, that line is carried over from the old pricing system and needs to be removed.
But the good news is as we are no longer able to charge for card payments costs, there's one set price now whether paying by cheque, card or PayPal.

So a 3 year renewal (UK) paying by card costs £87 whereas it was £92 previously, saving a whole crisp fiver! And if you renew for 3 years, you avoid any price increase within that term.

A 1 year renewal (UK) paying by card is £29, previously it was £31.

We've tried to simplify things as much as possible, the old system was confusing with too may variations...

Hope this helps!

Paul Stenning 29th Jan 2018 9:12 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagpie (Post 1012296)
Apologies Alvin, that line is carried over from the old pricing system and needs to be removed.

Oops, now removed. Sorry for any confusion.

Cobaltblue 6th Feb 2018 10:46 pm

First let me say I am not criticising anyone in this post I know all those involved and just how hard they work. (especially Mike B)

The problem is especially with special auctions that I am being asked to set aside a Sunday without knowing if there is anything of interest untill only a few days before the date (4 days and counting).

I have had to miss the last few special auctions for that very reason.

I have no idea how that might be changed but its very likely I have to pass on this one as well. (Eldest Son moving house).

My life is pretty full almost every weekend planned 12 months in advance. disrupting that without knowing whats on offer is not going to happen sorry to say.

Cheers

Mike T

murphymad 7th Feb 2018 1:00 am

Mike,

I am afraid an auction catalogue 12 months in advance is just not possible! (tongue in cheek)

I have to fit the activities of lotting up the items with the weather, storage space, van availability and when we can get out to pick the stuff up which usually means trying not to store it for any longer than we need to.
This all gets fitted in with trying to earn a living.
I may look old enough to be drawing a retirement pension, probably due to my years of BVWS activities, but I have a lot of years to go until then so have to work, albeit from home.

How long ahead of an event would you need ?

To all reading this post:
It should be borne in mind that the BVWS is not a commercial organisation and all money raised goes into the membership pot.
Also unlike other organisations that charge a fee for an Auction catalogue the BVWS is FREE and the catalogue is made public as are the auction results and I can see that there would be a clear reason to expect that a paid service should be delivered in a certain timescale but this is volunteer work.

I usually aim to get the catalogue and pictures available about a week ahead but the weather has been awful and cold and I do all photography outside so this is a bad time of year for it.

However I think your family should always come first. You can always send me a commission bid for anything you really want .

All the best,

Mike...

murphymad 7th Feb 2018 1:33 am

I should also add that I am aiming to get the Auction catalogue and pictures off to Paul to add to the BVWS website sometime tomorrow.

Mike...

Dave Moll 7th Feb 2018 9:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphymad (Post 1014714)
To all reading this post:
It should be borne in mind that the BVWS is not a commercial organisation and all money raised goes into the membership pot.
Also unlike other organisations that charge a fee for an Auction catalogue the BVWS is FREE and the catalogue is made public as are the auction results and I can see that there would be a clear reason to expect that a paid service should be delivered in a certain timescale but this is volunteer work.

I would also highlight another difference between BVWS auctions and most auction houses I know, which is that there is no "buyer's premium" on top of the hammer price - what you bid is what you pay - and the seller's premium is the lowest I've ever encountered! No doubt this is only achieveable owing to the enormous amount of work put in by those such as Mike - with no financial reward.

Yes, it's difficult to justify setting aside a weekend (which I need to owing to the distance I have to travel) on the offchance that there will be something to bid upon when I get there, but sometimes I look upon it as also an opportunity to meet up with other enthusiasts and may or may not end up with acquisitions at the end of it - after all, even if there is something I really want in the auction, there's no guarantee I'll be the successful bidder.

As Mike says, there is always the option of absentee bidding if one can't get to the sale.

greenstar 7th Feb 2018 6:50 pm

I guess there are always limits in life, and it can be frustrating. We all have to recognise our limits. Distance, time, energy and space for stuff! But these are astonishingly good auctions. There is nowhere else I know where there is so much available, of items you just do not see elsewhere in such abundance, for such reasonable prices. This is largely because of the unpaid efforts of the people who make it possible.
Tony

Paul Stenning 7th Feb 2018 7:26 pm

1 Attachment(s)
The catalogue and some photos are now available on the BVWS website here:

https://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/pho...ootton-bassett

The catalogue is also attached.

There are not the usual number of pictures this time as Mike did not had time or the weather to do everything, but the main goodies are shown.

turret_tuner 7th Feb 2018 7:55 pm

This seems a good time to say thank you very much to Mike B and Jim for all the time and effort they give to the BVWS working behind the scenes and 'on the day' in support of the society auctions. I guess they both give far more of their "free" time to the BVWS than most members would ever imagine.
I believe all of us who attend the auctions appreciate their non-commercial nature, long may it continue.

Cobaltblue 7th Feb 2018 8:14 pm

If you don't have a huge collection and or you don't collect a particular brand then yes the BVWS auctions are always a fantastic source and well worth the investment in time whatever is availabe.

Just to reiterate No critisism of hard working volunteers especially Mike Barker.

But when you have been collecting for 45 years and concentrating on a particular brand :shrug:

I am releived that the auction list doesn't seem to contain anything of particular interest to me.

When you already have more than 600 sets you do get a bit more focused.

Cheers

Mike T

David Church 8th Feb 2018 9:52 am

This thread raises a few questions -

1/ Just how old is Mike Barker then?

2/ How does Mike T get away with having more than 600 sets?

3/ Mike T - what shall I do with this bottle of rioja? (I will check it ages OK ;D )

Paul Stenning 8th Feb 2018 10:47 am

1/ See https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/member.php?u=511 :thumbsup:

2/ Yes I'm sure many of us would like to know that! ???

3/ Drink it? :beer: