UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   DDRC car boot (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156605)

Whaam68 17th May 2019 9:24 am

DDRC car boot

For anyone within striking distance of Luton/J10 M1
Just a reminder that the annual DDRC car boot is on this Sunday at Stockwood Park as usual. No affiliation but it's literally just up the road from me and I always manage to find it an enjoyable rummage usually turning up something of interest.
Mike

raditechman 17th May 2019 3:43 pm

Re: DDRC car boot

I have always found this a good radio car boot sale. I should have a table there on Sunday. Been going for very many years. I remember the days when they had a skip and at the end of the day lots of goodies would be found within it!

John

Reelman 17th May 2019 3:48 pm

Another vote for this event from me having been to the very first at the aerodrome 30+ years ago and most years since. All it misses is a bring and buy.
Peter

m0cemdave 17th May 2019 3:49 pm

Always an excellent event. I have been attending for decades and have had a stall at the last three or four.

But it looks like I won't be able to get to this year's, so will content myself with wishing everyone a good time!

Always take a brolly (and some rapid-deployment plastic covers if you have a stall) - that should reduce the chances of rain, via the Inverse Sod's Law Effect...

The weather forecast is here:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...cast/gcpxns1mn

high_vacuum_house 17th May 2019 6:13 pm

I am hoping to go. Always good for components and test equipment.

Christopher Capener

Sinewave 17th May 2019 6:50 pm

I'm going to try to make this one, will probably only get about two hours there.

MrBungle 17th May 2019 7:09 pm

Going to skip this one. I already have a house full. Perhaps I should book a table. Hmm.

Sinewave 17th May 2019 7:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBungle (Post 1146115)
Going to skip this one. I already have a house full. Perhaps I should book a table. Hmm.

Book a table and bang a load of Avometers on it ;D

g4aaw pete 17th May 2019 7:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBungle (Post 1146115)

Just do it!
I never pre-book in case of bad weather.
Turn up with a car-load. Go home with nothing.
Well, almost nothing.

MrBungle 17th May 2019 8:38 pm

I’ll think about it.

I have a problem getting rid of stuff. I’ll need to have words with that problem :D

Sean Williams 17th May 2019 9:24 pm

It is the MUST attend show of the year.

I will be there with a small table of the remaining grot I want to be rid of

Sinewave 19th May 2019 7:15 pm

I popped by for a few hours. I thought it was smaller than last year, but a good afternoon out. I came away with three Avos!

Sean Williams 19th May 2019 8:27 pm

I managed to clear most of my grot, I also picked up a nice digital manometer, and thermocouple meter, as well as a big stack of 2200uf 400V computer grade caps....

Oh, and a TF2370 interconnecting cable for the chap on here if he still wants it.

Spoke to a fair few forum members, but probably missed loads too.

Next stop Freidrichschafen - anyone here going?

dodgy-dxer 19th May 2019 9:50 pm

Yes!!

Only missed 2 years since 1986

73 Fred
G4BWP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Williams (Post 1146635)

Next stop Freidrichschafen - anyone here going?

Top Cap 20th May 2019 1:09 am

I went along but kept saying to myself No More Radios. Came away with a Shira Radio only because it covered Top Band and the Air Band. It was only £3 but of course not working. The slider switches on the side were broken and by luck I had the exact replacements albeit double pole ones which were duly wired as single pole for reliability. All wavebands work except FM but after running the set this evening the FM has decided to show its face though the tuning seems a little odd. More fun on the workshop bench tomorrow now I have been able to source a circuit. Funny design, PNP Germanium transistors in the audio stages but NPN Silicon everywhere else and of course the chassis is +ve just to add to the fun. Everything else is fine, cabinet, knobs and even the telescopic aerial, not bad for three quid :-)

FIXITNOW 20th May 2019 7:31 am

I went found a very nice Avo 40 in its leather case with 2 sets of leads for £5 bargain
and a few odd bits plus a Bush TR82c for spare parts

Sinewave 20th May 2019 9:14 am

There are some lovely finds out there.

I bought an Avo 8 Mk 3 for £5, 9 Mk 4 for £3 both working and an Air Ministry Model 7 for restoration which was £10, but I really wanted an Air Ministry 7 in my collection.

Whaam68 20th May 2019 1:55 pm

I enjoyed it but it felt maybe slightly quieter than previous years I've been to seller wise. I only picked up a nice RS Hex 5mm driver, a handful of panel neon's and some well priced components and managed not to buy anything I already have at least five of and/or don't need! :O)

There was a nice 80's "futuristic" trio amplifier on one stall "made in Scotland" that almost tempted me but the price tag was £40 and the front panel had a piece chipped off which made it much easier not to haggle & walk on!

MrBungle 20th May 2019 1:58 pm

I declined to go in the end. I couldn't face ending up with more stuff and couldn't face organising everything into the car to start with. I have organised everything into the cupboards now though so I can't see it ;D

dodgy-dxer 20th May 2019 3:00 pm

Interesting comments about attendance

I have been for the last 4 years after returning from overseas

The "last" row has always reached the rugby posts on every occasion

We did feel there may have been less buyers this year

Again more "wireless" sets on sale this year so there is an attraction to the vintage wireless crowd and at much lower rates, no early entry fee, only £2 to park and enter and £10 for a table on the day.

Fred
G4BWP