UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rediffusion 25" Dual Std CTV advert (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75137)

Focus Diode 12th Oct 2011 5:40 pm

Rediffusion 25" Dual Std CTV advert

1 Attachment(s)
Fernseh and I were looking through a copy of The Gateshead Post he has, dated 14th February 1969. No TV guide unfortunately but some fascinating articles and of course ads in the good old days where Gateshead was still addressed as being in County Durham, and proud to be so.

One advert which especially stood out was for Rediffusion. The wired distribution system was commonplace at the time in some parts. My auntie in the Walker area of Newcastle had it, the dual std B&W set eventually being replaced by a colour hybrid model, the Mk1 chassis I believe it was which lasted until circ 1980 when the system finally closed down.

The advert here introduced a 25" colour model with the familiar twin switches to change between 405 and 625-lines and trademark red pilot light! To us it looks typically Rediffusion, but to the best of my knowledge I don't know of an "In house" produced dual std CTV from this firm.

Could've been made elsewhere of course for the Rediffusion company. Anyone out there have any ideas and/or have memories of this model?

Cheers,
Brian

Mikey405 12th Oct 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Rediffusion 25" Dual Std CTV advert

I think this uses the Rank hybrid chassis Brian. The mask is the same as Rank sets and they made a version of this set with the standard Rank tuner too.

Philips210 12th Oct 2011 9:02 pm

Hi.

When I worked at Rediffusion on work experience in 1983, I remember seeing old spares relegated to the upstairs stores, where a number of PD500 valves were found. At the time I always thought that their first colour set was the single standard MK1 but that used a tripler. I enquired about why they needed to keep PD500 valves and the service manager mentioned something about a RBM clone chassis so that would tie in with what Mikey405 said.

I certainly remember seeing many solid state RBM A823s rebadged as Rediffusion.
Also, I think Rediffusion used many other makes as well, especially ITT, such as the CVC20 and later sets.

Regards
Symon.

Welsh Anorak 13th Oct 2011 11:01 am

Hi
Yes it's a Rank hybrid dual as used in the CTV25/167. I bought a couple of those a long time ago as spares for some dual-standard Bush sets. They didn't have a tuner, IF strip or audio stage, the speaker being connected to the cable via a transformer.
The cabinet didn't look much like a Bush though, so that might have been in-house. Never seen the 19" version mentioned, though I imagine it was like the CTV162 Mikey has.
The Mk1 that replaced it was a really good set - so much so it was re-worked in the late Seventies for customers who wanted a 'new' set but didn't want to pay new prices! The only obvious difference between it and the Mk 3 was the lack of the PIL symbol on the front.
Glyn

Focus Diode 13th Oct 2011 3:54 pm

Many thanks indeed for your fascinating replies. I did think the set had a sort of Rank look about it after uploading the picture.

Cheers,
Brian

MALC SCOTT 13th Oct 2011 5:22 pm

They were a RBM dual standard chassis with no tuner and an S/F panel fitted instead of an i/f.