UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Pye QAC38 from 1937 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147477)

MurphyNut 17th Jun 2018 6:44 pm

Pye QAC38 from 1937

4 Attachment(s)
I won this nice set at Harpenden last year so there’s a possibility someone might recognise it over here.
I had promised myself if I was going to buy another woody it would have to be a Murphy, well....I saw this one felt sorry for it and broke my promise!
It was a bit tired looking, most of its varnish was breaking down but on the positive side it looked complete and I drawn to its styling.
When I removed the chassis from the cabinet I was expecting a lot of work, but it was evident someone had already been there and done it. All the capacitors replaced and some of the internal wiring redone. Though the mains lead looked lethal it was in fact sound just the woven material fraying.
I decided to ‘bite the bullet’ put a plug on it and switch it on, it worked beautifully.
So it was just the cabinet to do, I was working on my Murphy A50 at the same time and was pleased with the Danish oil finish I was getting so I decided to use the same on this Pye.
The first bit was the most difficult task; removing the old varnish, for some reason it required a lot more Nitromors than usual to dissolve it away.
Once it was all eventually removed I gave it a very fine sanding and applied the first coat. I gave it about 4 coats in total to fill the grain and wet and dried between the last two. This oil does’ take a while to set so I had to be patient and wait a couple of days before the last wet and dry/coat was done.
This set has painted plywood edges so mine had to be re-done, often they are black but on the Pye it was brown. I bought 3 little Humbrol paint tins of varying shades of brown from Hobby craft.
Even the darkest one looked too light when I first painted it on so I gradually mixed in black paint until I got the shade right. (see after pic)
The speaker fabric had gone all lose so I replaced it; I wasn’t too worried as it clearly wasn’t the original anyway.
The tatty mains lead was also replaced with a suitably period looking one.
The set now looks really smart, it’s got lots of Art Deco elements to its styling, the knobs are particularly good.
I wasn’t expecting this radio to sound as good as it does, also I was pleased it has phono pick-up sockets on the back and works really well with 1930’s Dance Band music being played though it via my ipod.

Before pictures-

MurphyNut 17th Jun 2018 6:45 pm

Re: Pye QAC38 from 1937

4 Attachment(s)
After pictures-

Phil G4SPZ 26th Jun 2018 11:31 pm

What a lovely set! The result is superb, well done. I also like Danish Oil for refinishing stripped cabinets.

MurphyNut 17th Jul 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks Phil, I don't think the after pictures do credit to this attractive radio, I should have taken them on a brighter day.
I would say Danish Oil doesn't suite all radios, some sets originally had quite a glossy finishes and Danish Oil by it's nature isn't like this.

deliverance 20th Jul 2018 8:24 pm

What a difference looks superb .

boxdoctor 24th Jul 2018 9:25 pm

Very nicely done.
A stylish set in my eyes, and time well spent. Did you put new speaker cloth in, or is it the old piece carefully "reconditioned"? looks really 'the part', whatever it is.
I vaguely remember one of these from my early childhood. Some relative must have owned one.
Well done. Tony.

McMurdo 24th Jul 2018 10:09 pm

my kind of set, what a transformation. I've never used danish oil on a set, it's really brought out the figuring. Your veneer looks like those hand-touched photos in supplier catalogues! Must be authentic!
I agree the knobs on these are gorgeous. This can hold its head high on a shelf of murphys! ;D