UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cossor 524 Melody Maker (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136505)

wrenrover 13th May 2017 9:54 pm

Cossor 524 Melody Maker

2 Attachment(s)
Just bought this lovely set. The FM is a bit quiet. Can someone tell me how to connect an external aerial. Do I connect at the dipole connector or the main aerial. Is it possible to still purchase the small plugs that would fit the aerial socket/s

'LIVEWIRE?' 13th May 2017 10:28 pm

Re: Cossor 524 Melody Maker

An external aerial should be connected instead of the internal FM aerial, which is only of use in strong signal areas, but I doubt very much if the plug used is still available. Try putting a request in the 'Sets, Parts & Service info. wanted' section. Another forum member may have a spare plug.

David G4EBT 13th May 2017 10:52 pm

Just a point to bear in mind - if the set uses an ECC85 valve in the front end, they're noted for not being very long-lived, so it's not necessarily the aerial that's causing low volume on FM, but an ECC85 that's well past its best. A Google search should turn up a new/old stock replacement if need be.

I guess that failing FM performance was why many such sets were consigned to the loft rather than to pay a repair shop to diagnose and rectify the fault, which would doubtless have cost as much as a new (by then, transistor) set. You could also try one of those cheap twin 300 Ohm flex FM aerials which might be better than the one attached to the back panel of the set.

Nice set, good luck with it.

'LIVEWIRE?' 13th May 2017 11:10 pm

I hadn't thought about weak ECC85s, David. Should have done, as I have a Pye radio with the same problem, except that fitting a NOS ECC85 didn't restore the FM performance. More's the pity as except for a broken knob the radio in question looks almost as good as new, and performs well on AM.

Ambientnoise 13th May 2017 11:29 pm

I have one of these sets, sounds good. I found the best results with a simple 60 cm or so wire/rod into the lower of the two dipole connections (where the int aerial is connected in the pic) and the red plug into the E socket. Adjust the wire position for best reception. The plugs can occasionally be found, I use split pins if necessary.

Beware the knobs, especially the wavechange which takes a lot of stress. They are quite fragile and are unobtainium.

wrenrover 14th May 2017 12:03 am

Hi David, the set has 6 valves; 6AQ8 6AJ8 6BY7 6AK8 6BQ5 6V4. Thanks for the tip anyway. I'll try making a plug and connect it to the loft aerial I run my Leek Troughline 3 with. Thanks.

AC/HL 14th May 2017 12:12 am

To try, you could pinch the existing plug. If it doesn't help, nothing lost.