UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Nvcf (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16496)

Paul Stenning 30th Apr 2007 12:59 pm

Re: The Nvcf

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard (Post 114421)
I had no problems finding the venue (even though my satnav didn't quite get it right)

Yes, I put the post code in my satnav, and it took me to a village nearby. I just kept following the road though and found it no problem. I have now saved the correct place in my satnav as a "point of interest", so I am sorted for next year.

Duke_Nukem 30th Apr 2007 1:19 pm

I intended to be there for a couple of hours, which in the end became 5.5 hours.

It took several eveneings of moving stuff to get to the HP spectrum analyser for Jim Beacon, which indicates just how tight for space I am. So what possessed me to buy a thumping great Sobell telly off of Andy Beer I don't know :) In fact just got back after lunch, having conned a workmate into helping us shift the beast out the back of the motor !

The security bods were much more sensible than the gestapo that lurcked at the NEC. Quick chat to one of the gaurds and there was no prob bringing my car round the back to fetch said telly.

Bought to other tellies, but they are real little 'uns so no storage problems there.

Totally forgot to buy the caps from the NVCF stand though. Doh !

Steve_P : Kept an eye open for you but your hiding tactics were too successful for me :)

TTFN,
Jon

Mike Phelan 30th Apr 2007 5:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Stenning (Post 114467)
Yes, I put the post code in my satnav, and it took me to a village nearby. I just kept following the road though and found it no problem. I have now saved the correct place in my satnav as a "point of interest", so I am sorted for next year.

I put a cross on my low-tech road atlas (remember them?) so I shall definitely find it OK next year.
My comments on the location plan are no big deal; it was just the fact that Hinckley had been moved across to the other side of the M69, the latter did not show junction numbers and the poor little A5 was not shown.
Not a serious problem at all.

Dave Moll 30th Apr 2007 5:26 pm

One advantage (not entirely unpremeditated;)) of spending a fair amount of my time on the bring & buy stall was that I didn't have so much time for wandering round making impulse buys - just a couple of "quick" tours of the hall with my shopping list.

Although I returned home with a car pretty much filled to capacity, even though I sold all the items I brought for the bring & buy, most of it was either acquisitions previously agreed through the forum or items from eBayers whom I had established would be at the event.

My only impulse purchases were from the bring & buy stall itself!

Paul Stenning 30th Apr 2007 5:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Moll (Post 114510)
Although I returned home with a car pretty much filled to capacity...

Well my PC, two monitors and the box of stuff took up a fair amount of space!

JoshWard 30th Apr 2007 7:06 pm

A great day out and several good things bought, sorry I forgot about you though Howard!! The space inbetween the rows was a bit cramped at times (especially if you're carrying a Pye Black Box) but I don't have any real complaints. Thanks to all the organisers, Josh.

muttley 30th Apr 2007 7:49 pm

I did my first NVCF and thought it was excellent! I arrived at noon :-/ to see loads of people loading there cars and going in for more. I paid my fiver and could not believe how many people were there :o . As a newbie to this radio lark I was amazed at the numbers of sets and how cheap they were. I only bought a few valves and capacitors and an american battery radio. As I am quite a shy person I didnt say hello at the bring and buy. However, I have learnt few lessons for next time:

1. Do not leave the list of parts I need on the dining room table (I only managed to remember half of them >:( )

2. If you see something you want-buy it ! (I went back later and it had been sold :'( )

3. Get there early -I bet there were some great bargains to be had at the start.

Thanks BVWS for my first day away from the wife and kids in over 3 years! :thumbsup:

Dave Moll 30th Apr 2007 8:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by muttley (Post 114533)
As I am quite a shy person I didnt say hello at the bring and buy.

Please do come and say hello next time. It's so good to put a face to a forum name.

muttley 30th Apr 2007 10:04 pm

Actually I did see you at the stall Dave (unless someone else was wearing your badge). BTW are there any pictures-I did see someone taking some.

Paul Stenning 30th Apr 2007 10:27 pm

Yes, I have took quite a lot, mostly early when the stalls were full and there weren't that many people to get in the way. I also have some of the telegraph display items.

I'll try to get the good ones onto the NVCF website in the next couple of days.

chipp1968 5th May 2007 1:52 pm

Better late than never > i thourily enjoyed the day and came away with 2 nice tellies , one was a Beery castoff too;) Now i need to find some space ...:-)

Heatercathodeshort 6th May 2007 7:53 pm

Yes it was a great day. I bought some NOS EY51's as my stock was very low and some .1uf caps from the BVWS stall.
I added a HMV octal battery set for £5.00 and a very intersting Beethoven portable model P44 from 1938. It is a TRF, very small and Art Deco. [£13.00] Managed to pass on the huge EMO colour set to a French TV collector and an RGD set both via Jeffrey's excellent bring and buy stall. Next time I'll go by bike thus preventing any possibility of buying anything.......That truck of mine drives better when its full...Regards John.

JoshWard 7th May 2007 9:45 am

Maybe in that case John, you could start a McMichael museum in the back of one of the lorries....

Paul Stenning 7th May 2007 3:52 pm

I have just added lots of photos of the NVCF including the telegraph display to the NVCF website here http://www.nvcf.org.uk/2007/index.htm

KEITHW 7th May 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks for putting those up Paul, looks very interesting. Gives me a good idea of what to expect as I hope to make it to the next one.:)

Keith